The “Act to Incorporate Brandon College” was assented to on June 1, 1900 and specified that the Board of Directors would consist of 21 members. The Board was to control all financial matters of the College, though all decisions had to meet the approval of the Baptist Convention.
The first officers of the Board were a Chairman, a Treasurer and a Secretary. The minutes also refer to a “President,” separate from the Principal, but does not define the President’s duties. The Principal was a member ex-officio of the Board. The first duty of the Board was to create an executive consisting of all Brandon members of the Board. The main function of the executive was the operation of the College and transaction of all business arising between Board meetings.
In pursuit of a separate university charter, the Board reorganized its affairs in 1910, appointing an investment committee, a Bursar and a Registrar. The Principal was renamed “President,” and was appointed Chairman of the Executive. The university charter was denied, leading the Board to seek affiliation with McMaster University. The Board of Directors during this time was forced to take a more active role in directing college affairs. In November 1910, the Board moved: ...that the officers of the Board be authorized to make such application for such amendments to the Charter as seem necessary and advisable.
This decision led the Board to draw up the Act to Amend An Act to Incorporate Brandon College which, by 1915, granted the Board authority over all College affairs, following the stated direction of the Baptist Convention.
On May 5, 1916 a nominating committee was struck to name the persons and mandate of all new committees.
During the existence of the Board prior to 1967 the following committees were created:
In 1918, the Board defined the functions of the Executive Committee as:
The Board of Brandon College shall at its organization meeting each year appoint from among its members an Executive of not less than seven in number. The Executive shall be responsible to the Board and shall exercise all the powers usually incidental to an Executive other than those delegated to the Finance Committee and Endowment Fund Committee, which two Committees shall also be responsible to the Board direct.
FINANCE COMMITTEE, 1918-1926
The Finance Committee was to consist of no fewer than seven members which:
...shall be responsible to the Board and shall under the Board have the general oversight and control of the financial policy of the College insofar as the raising of funds is concerned. The Finance Committee shall not have the power to make any expenditures except such as it may deem necessary to incur in connection with its efforts in raising funds. The Finance Committee shall report to the Board of the College at each meeting of the Board and for the purpose of keeping the Executive in close touch with its activities and of enabling the two committees to work in closest cooperation shall transmit to the Executive a copy of the minutes of each of its meetings to be read at the regular meetings of the Executive and shall give account of the progress made by the Finance Committee and generally of its plans for the future. Members of the Finance Committee shall not all necessarily be members of the Board.
ENDOWMENT FUND COMMITTEE, 1918-1926
The Endowment Fund Committee was created by the following resolution:
The Board of Brandon College shall at its Organization Meeting each year appoint an Endowment Fund Committee which shall under the Board manage the Endowment Fund and direct the re-investment of its principal. The Endowment Fund Committee shall consist of not less than three members who shall not all necessarily be members of the Board.
The creation of the latter two committees was significant because it was the first time that Brandon citizens, not necessarily Baptists, were brought into the administration.
HOUSE AND GROUNDS COMMITTEE, 1923-1926
NEW INSTRUCTORS COMMITTEE, 1923-1936
ADVERTISING COMMITTEE, 1923-1936
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AND ENDOWMENT COMMITTEE, 1926-1936
TEACHERS COMMITTEE, 1929-1936
GENERAL PUBLICITY COMMITTEE, 1930-1936
By 1936, however, all Committees were abandoned as Brandon College struggled for its financial survival. After the Baptist Convention withdrew all of its support in 1938, a Provisional Board was established through the Brandon Board of Trade to negotiate with the government for the transfer of Brandon College to the Government of Manitoba. The provisional board succeeded in gathering the needed support for government intervention, and resurrected the College under “An Act to Incorporate Brandon College Incorporated.”
The new Board of Directors was appointed October 11, 1939 during a general shareholders meeting. The officers of the Board were a Chairman, a Secretary and a Treasurer. There were also six new standing committees appointed, with mandates listed under clause 16 of by-law 1:
FINANCE COMMITTEE, 1939-1967
... whose duty it shall be to oversee the finances of the Corporation and make recommendations to the Board as to investments of Monies received for endowment or scholarship purposes, and to prepare and submit the annual budget.
PROPERTY COMMITTEE, 1939-1967
... who shall have general supervision of the real and personal property of the Corporation.
ENROLLMENT COMMITTEE, 1939-1967
... whose duty shall be to obtain a student body for the College, to co-operate with the President and Faculty for such purpose and report to the Board as may be required from time to time.
FACULTY COMMITTEE, 1939-1967
... whose duty shall be to make preliminary arrangements for the engagement of teachers and who shall make recommendations to the Board for consideration in the engagement of such teachers.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE, 1939-1967
... whose duty shall be to maintain the membership of the Corporation and see that proper records of the same are maintained.
ENDOWMENT COMMITTEE, 1939-1967
... whose duty shall be to obtain endowments for the future operation of the College and to obtain gifts for scholarship purposes.
In 1942 the Public Relations and Progress Committee was established and a Public Relations Officer was hired. A Consultant Committee was appointed in 1948 with the sole purpose of overseeing the transfer of McKenzie Seeds to the provincial government for financial support through the McKenzie Foundation.
Scope and Content
Series consists mainly of minutes of meetings and correspondence between various Board members and the College. It is a very detailed and descriptive compilation of the decision-making processes at a higher education institution. There are copies of minutes from the Executive Committee in amongst the general Board Minutes. Series also contains a copy of an appraisment of Brandon College Inc. by the General Appraisal Company Ltd. (Vancouver) completed in 1957.
RG 1 Brandon College fonds
Series 1: Board of Directors
Series has been divided into one sub-series: (1) Minutes of General Board Meetings.