Brandon University received its charter on June 5, 1967, on the occasion of the visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra and the Honourable Angus Ogilvie. The institution has its roots in Brandon College, which was established in 1899, by the Baptist Convention of Manitoba and the Northwest Territories and was administered by that authority until 1938. During these years it was an affiliate, first of the University of Manitoba and, from 1911 to 1938, of McMaster University. In 1938, it became a non-denominational affiliate of the University of Manitoba, under a board of directors elected by the Brandon College Corporation, and it continued as such until it was made a provincial university in 1967.
1967-1968 was the first year of operation as Brandon University.
The University is a co-educational, non-denominational, government-supported institution within the Province of Manitoba. It is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) and the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
As stated in The Brandon University Act (1998), the purposes and objects of the university are: (a) the advancement of learning and the creation, preservation and dissemination of knowledge; and (b) the intellectual, social, ethical and physical development and improvement of its students and employees and of society. To further its purposes and objects the university may: (a) establish and maintain such colleges, faculties, schools, institutes, departments, chairs and courses of instruction as the board considers appropriate; (b) give instruction and training in all branches of learning; (c) grant degrees, including honorary degrees, diplomas and certificates of proficiency; (d) provide facilities for original research in every branch of learning, and conduct or facilitate the conducting of such research; and (e) generally promote and carry on the work of a university.
The mission statement of the University is to shape the whole person and enable students to make a positive difference as citizens and leaders. In a welcoming and supportive setting, the University emphasizes research, scholarship, critical thinking, performance, artistic creation, communication and participation, as a means of imparting value and meaning to society and contributing to the public good. The University nurtures and develops excellence in its programs, attracts an outstanding faculty, defends academic freedom, preserves knowledge and sustains a scholarly community where cultural differences are valued. The University strives to complement its primary mission of teaching and research by sharing the expertise of its staff, its information resources and its facilities with the greater community.
1967 Brandon College became Brandon University with authority to grant degrees
1998 The Brandon University Act was passed by the Manitoba Legislature, replacing the Brandon University Regulations
1902 First Arts graduates
1975 B.A. (4 year Specialist) degree
1983 B.A. (4 year General) degree
1990 Major in Business Administration
1991 Minor in Women's Studies
1992 Minor in Aboriginal Art
1996 Major in Business Administration (4 year)
1997 4 year Bachelor of Business Admin
1975 B.Sc. (4 year Spec)
1983 B.Sc. (4 year General)
1986 Post-Diploma degree for Registered Nurses and Registered Psychiatric Nurses
1995 4 year degree in Psychiatric Nursing
1952 Ed courses offered for the first time
1967 B.Ed. (5 year)
1969 B.Teaching (3 year)
1972 Project for the Education of Native Teachers (PENT) initiated
1974 Brandon University Northern Teacher Education Program (BUNTEP) initiated
1978 B.Ed (4 year)
1981 B.Teaching (3 year) discontinued as at October 17, 1981
1988 Concurrent B.Music/B.Ed (AD) degree program
1994 Brandon University Hutterian Education Programme (BUHEP) initiated
1906 Dept of Music (Conservatory) established
1973 B.Mus. (4 year General)
1977 B.Mus. (5 year Music Education)
1980 Master of Music Degree offered for the first time in Manitoba
1988 Concurrent B.Music/B.Ed (AD) degree program
1998 School of Health Studies created and assumes responsibility for Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Mental Health and Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing
Interdisciplinary degree programs:
1998 Masters degree in Rural Development
1998 Bachelor of First Nations and Aboriginal Counselling degree program
On December 19, 1985, the Board of Governors approved a set of recommendations regarding the administrative structure of the university. The recommendations renamed, abolished and instituted a number of positions at Brandon University.
Records in the fonds were in the possession of the President's Office until 1980, at which point they were transferred to the McKee Archives upon its creation. Subsequently, additional records have been transferred from the President's Office, the Senate Office and some faculties. Most records transferred after 1980 have separate accession numbers.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of sixteen series, including: (1) Office of the Chancellor; (2) Board of Governors; (3) Office of the President; (4) Office of the Vice-President; (5) Office of the Registrar; (6) Brandon University Senate; (7) Faculties and Schools; (8) Library Services; (9) Department of Extension; (10) Office of Development; (11) Brandon University Foundation; (12) Student Services; (13) Miscellaneous Publications; (14) Brandon University Students' Union (BUSU); (15) Brandon University Faculty Association (BUFA); and (16) Brandon University/College Artifacts.
Information for the History/Bio field was taken from Brandon University calendars 1967-2006, the Brandon University website (December 2005) and an article in "The Quill" (January 9, 1986). Description by Christy Henry, unless otherwise noted.