Mary Ellen Ross was born in July 1872. She married David Henry Schwalm in Woodstock, Ontario on January 2, 1889. David died ca. 1895, leaving Mary with two small children - Clara Amy and Annie Irene. At some point after 1901, Mary was transferred (the nature of the transfer is unknown although it may amount to a character reference) to the Methodist Church in Brandon, Manitoba from the Central Methodist Church in Toronto. It appears that Mary was back in Woodstock by 1907. By 1911, she and her daughters were living in Toronto.
The items in the collection remained in the possession of Mary Schwalm until her death, at which point they passed to her grandson (Annie Irene's son). Schwalm's great-granddaughter Linda Tripp donated them to the McKee Archives in July 2007.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of :
3 photographs (b/w) - includes one of Brandon College c. 1905 and two of unidentified faculty members. The faculty members appear to be from Toronto.
4 Brandon College artifacts - includes a small plate, cream pitcher, sugar bowl and bud vase. All the pieces were made in Germany and have the same drawing of the Brandon College Original Building on them. They are primarily green and yellow in color.
1 drawing - architectural drawing of the front view of Brandon College as it would appear when the Ladies' Building (Clark Hall) was completed in September 1906.
2 letters - both letters were written by J.A. Rankin, Pastor at Central Methodist Church, Toronto re the transfer of Mary Schwalm from the Central Methodis Church on Bloor Street East to Methodist Church, Brandon.
Biographical information was provided by Linda Tripp and obtained from the 1911 Canadian Census. Description by Christy Henry (2007).
The Brandon College photograph and drawing are located in the RG 5 Western Manitoba Manuscript collection - photograph storage drawer. The other two photographs and the letters are located with the 2007 accessions. The artifacts are on display in the Reading Room display case.