According to the Manitoba Historical Society, the Volunteer Monument was unveiled at Winnipeg's Old City Hall on September 28, 1886. The monument commemorated the soldiers of 90th Winnipeg Rifles (also known as the "Little Black Devils") who were killed during the 1885 North West Rebellion. In 1968, the monument was moved to the east side of Main Street, between the Centennial Concert Hall and the Manitoba Museum.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a parade marching south along Main Street in front of the Volunteer Monument on Winnipeg's Old City Hall grounds (1886-1962). The parade was in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee that was held June 22, 1899. Businesses visible on the west (left) side of Main Street include: the Great Northern Railway Line, Gurney Stove & Range Co., Sherman House, The Arlington Hotel, Hurtley & Co., Central Drug Hall, Inman Optical Co. On the east side of Main Street, the Conferation Life Block is draped with bunting and a large ensign flag is flying from its tower. Specators line the streets and can be seen on roof tops and leaning from windows.
The front of the photograph reads: Jublee [sic.] Procession June 22/99 Winnipeg