Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

13 records – page 1 of 1.

Brandon Municipal Railway Construction

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9768
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K6
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Brandon Municipal Railway construction
Notes
Looking south at the intersection of 10th Street and Rosser Avenue.
From Brandon Sun
Name Access
Brandon Municipal Railway
Subject Access
public transit
streetcars
Brandon Street Railway
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Brandon Municipal Railway Construction

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9769
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K7
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Brandon Municipal Railway construction
Notes
Looking east from the intersection of 10th Street and Rosser Avenue.
From Brandon Sun
Name Access
Brandon Municipal Railway
Subject Access
public transit
streetcars
Brandon Street Railway
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Brandon Business and Professional Women's Club fonds

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4859
Part Of
RG 5 Western Manitoba Manuscript Collection
Description Level
Collection
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1932-1972
Accession Number
10-2002
Part Of
RG 5 Western Manitoba Manuscript Collection
Description Level
Collection
Accession Number
10-2002
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1932-1972
Physical Description
20 cm
History / Biographical
The Business and Professional Women's Club of Brandon was created in November 1932. The club grew out of a meeting of business and professional women who were interested in forming an association. Guest speakers at the meeting were Miss Hilda Hesson, the Vice President of the Federation of Canadian Business and Professional Women's Clubs, and Miss F. Ingram, the President of the Winnipeg Business and Professional Women's Club. The objective of the Brandon club, according to its constitution, was the "promotion of educational, service, and social facilities for the business and professional women." The club consisted of active and associate members and belonged to the greater Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women's Club. The first President of the club was Miss Margaret Gemmell, with approximately 80 women attended the club's first meeting. The club established sub-committees on a variety of subjects including current events, sports, bridge instruction, public speaking, dress making, photography, stitch craft, manual training, and physical culture. The club also put on exhibitions, participated in drama festivals, held rummage sales and an annual Christmas party. During the Second World War, it established a War Effort Department. This department organized activities such as sewing and knitting in support of the war effort. The War Effort Department also raised money for charities such as the Red Cross. During its meetings, the club often heard local and national speakers or watched films. Women of many different vocations joined the club including florists, teachers, salesclerks, nurses, and housewives. Over the years, additional departments were added to the club including those named poetry, pottery, woodcraft, and drama.
Custodial History
This fonds was accessioned by the McKee Archives in 2002. Previous custodial history is unknown.
Scope and Content
Fonds contains three small scrapbooks, which cover the years 1932-1939, 1939-1949, and 1950-1959, respectively. The scrapbooks contain newpaper clippings from the Brandon Sun, the Winnipeg Free Press, and the Flin Flon Daily Miner. The scrapbooks also contain exhibition and meeting programs from the Brandon Club. Fonds also contains meeting minutes for the years 1932-1972.
Notes
CAIN No. 202576
Subject Access
Miss Margaret Gemmel
Miss Marjorie McKenzie
Dr. Jane Turnbull
Miss Muriel Bowen
Miss Jessie Crawford
Mrs. Robert Darrach
Miss Margaret Clay
Hilda Hesson
Miss Jenny Gemmell
City of Brandon
Business and Professional Women's Club of Brandon
Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs
women's organizations
women's clubs
Manitoba women
scrapbooks
Storage Location
2002 accessions
Storage Range
2002 accessions
Related Material
Brandon Business and Professional Women's Club (10-2002); Minnedosa Business and Professional Women's Club (11-2002); Neepawa Business and Professional Women's Club (12-2002); Trilliam Business and Professional Women's Club (2-2006).
Show Less

Brandon College/Brandon University Women's Auxiliary fonds

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14290
Part Of
RG 1 Brandon College fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1955-1975
Accession Number
18-2016
Part Of
RG 1 Brandon College fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
18-2016
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1955-1975
Physical Description
24 cm of textual records
3 scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings
History / Biographical
The Brandon College/Brandon University Women's Auxiliary was founded on February 17, 1955, with the purpose of a) foster[ing] good public relations between the university and the community, and to stress the importance of Brandon University to Western Manitoba; b) to gain a better knowledge of the functioning of Brandon University and; c) to improve the surroundings of the College/University's students and the university at large. They were to hold four regular meetings per annum, with an annual meeting in April, and one fund-raising tea a year. The organization raised money through these teas, as well as through receptions, with the intention of donating to the college/university and surrounding community, contributing to the furnishing of residences and offices at teh college/ university, as well as facilitating an annual community visitation day for the public to tour the university. The organization's name was change from the Brandon College Women's Auxiliary to the Brandon University Women's Auxiliary along with the renaming of the school itself on July 1, 1967. The organization was sometimes referred to simply as the Women's Auxiliary. The Auxiliary was run by an elected President and Board of Executives. Its members, who were all mothers of Brandon College/Brandon University students, paid an annual membership fee. Subcommittees within the organization included those in charge of social organization, membership management, program management, phoning management, press and publicity management and project management; all of these were fronted by their own individual leaders from within the members, under the board of executives. The organization ceased meeting in 1975; the minutes from the final meeting reference difficulties filling executive offices before a motion was carried to disband.
Custodial History
Records were created and held by the Brandon College/Brandon University Women's Auxiliary until their dissolution on October 23, 1975, when a motion was passed to move the records to the McKee Archives.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records that relate to the organization of and activities coordinated by the Women's Auxiliary, as well as records detailing the contribution that the organization made to the university and community of and around Brandon. The records span the entire existence of the Women's Auxiliary from 1955 to 1975. Records include meeting minutes, treasurers' statements, financial bookkeeping, correspondence, a copy of the constitution, records of members, members' addresses and phone numbers, lists of members' children attending school and their respesctive degree, lists of council members, event memorabilia, organization letter heads, donation receipts, newspaper clipplings, advertisements, publicity reports, meeting reports, visitation records, scrapbooks and scrapbook inventories.
Notes
History/Bio information taken from the records. Description by Kayliegh Penner (October 2016).
Name Access
Mrs. R.B. Alexander
Mrs. Cumming
Mrs. R.G. McDiarmid
Mrs. R.K. Leiteh
Mrs. Wesley Nelson
Mrs. Robert Ghidorie
Mrs. Barney Thordarson
Kathleen Thordarson
Mrs. Stuart Craig
Mrs. Doris Hunt
Subject Access
centennial visitation day
women's organizations
Storage Location
2016 accessions
Related Material
Brandon University photograph collection (Observatory Opening)
Spring 1955 Alumni News (report on the founding of the organization)
Arrangement
Records are arranged in chronological order in four (4) subseries: 1) treasurer's books; 2) minute books; 3) textual files; and 4) scrapbooks and miscellany
Show Less

Prince Edward Hotel Construction

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9765
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1911
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K3
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1911
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
View of Prince Edward Hotel under construction.
Notes
For details regarding construction negotiations between the City of Brandon and Canadian Northern Railway, see Brandon: A City, by G.F. Barker, page 126.
Name Access
Prince Edward Hotel
Subject Access
construction
hotels
Brandon hotels
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Methodist Church Under Construction

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9763
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1905]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K1
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1905]
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Methodist Church under construction
Notes
Laying cornerstone
From the Brandon Sun.
Name Access
Methodist Church
Subject Access
Christianity
Church buildings
Brandon Churches
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Sewer Line Construction

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9770
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K8
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
Excavated earth was loaded into a hopper, which itself was on a rail running a half block back. It was then dumped back to fill the trench where pipe installation had already been completed - Art Baker (of Art's Confectionery, NE 15th St. & Princess Ave.). This information was provided in response to a request in the Brandon Sun (Fred McGuinness) for further information.
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Brandon sewer line construction
Notes
View of Pacific Avenue, looking east from 5th Street
Courtesy of Mrs. E. Harden.
Name Access
Sewer Line Construction
Subject Access
public transit
streetcars
Brandon Street Railway
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Construction of St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9773
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[between 1939 and 1941]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K11
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[between 1939 and 1941]
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
Construction began in 1939 and was completed in 1941.
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Construction of St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church
Notes
The small building is a shoe shop; sign by pole reads "Harry's Shoe Shop"
From the collection of Harry Pasklivich (the shoemaker)
Name Access
St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church
Subject Access
shoe stores
Christianity
Church buildings
Brandon Churches
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Nation & Shewan Building Renovation

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9771
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
Wm. Martel
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K9
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
Renovations included the addition of one storey to the main building (built in 1889).
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Reconstruction of Nation & Shewan building by E.C. "Ted" Higgens
Notes
In car: driver - E.C. Higgens, left - Jack Matthews, behind driver - Jim Mutter, top - John Baron
Courtesy of May (Higgens) Dunbar.
Name Access
Nation & Shewan Building
Subject Access
downtowns
businesses
merchants
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Construction of Parkview Apartments

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9772
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1915
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
Wm. Martel
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K10
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1915
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Construction of Parkview Apartments
Notes
Located at 14th St. and Princess Avenue
Contractor E.C. "Ted" Higgens
Courtesy of Mrs. Millen Dunbar nee May (Higgens) Dunbar
Name Access
Parkview Apartments
Subject Access
apartment buildings
construction
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

A.E. McKenzie Building Under Construction

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9764
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1909 or 1910]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K2
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1909 or 1910]
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
A.E. McKenzie Building under construction
Notes
From the Brandon Sun.
Name Access
A.E. McKenzie Building
A.E. McKenzie & Co.
Subject Access
businesses
seeds
agricultural companies
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Location Copy
1-2002.3.9.106
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Paving Rosser Avenue

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9767
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
October 1911
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K5
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
October 1911
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
The steam-powered roller in this photo, probably purchased for this large project, continued in use until 1940.
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Paving Rosser Avenue from 8th St. to 10th St.
Notes
Building sub-grade
Photo includes McDonald & Calvert (McDonald Building) and Clement Drugs (Clement Block).
Name Access
McDonald & Calvert
Clement Block
Subject Access
construction
paving
drug stores
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Paving Ninth Street

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9766
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
September 1911
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1K4
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
September 1911
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Paving 9th Street north of Rosser Avenue.
Notes
Paving includes 5 1/2" concrete foundation
Photo shows King George Cafe, A.E. McKenzie Building, Clement Block and Prince Edward Hotel under construction
Name Access
King George Cafe
A.E. McKenzie Building
Prince Edward Hotel
Subject Access
construction
paving
hotels
cafes
agricultural buildings
Brandon Early Construction Scenes
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Location Copy
1-2002.3.9.107
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

13 records – page 1 of 1.