Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

8 records – page 1 of 1.

Aerial views and campus photographs

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions6
Part Of
BUPC 2 Campus buildings
Description Level
Sub-series
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1920s; c.1950s - c.2000
Part Of
BUPC 2 Campus buildings
Description Level
Sub-series
Series Number
2.1
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1920s; c.1950s - c.2000
Physical Description
146 photographs
History / Biographical
Aerial photographs of the campus were generally commissioned by the College/University to record important milestones, such as centennials, changes in status, and building projects. The general campus photographs were placed in this sub-series because the composition of the images made it difficult to place them with individual buildings.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of photographs of the Brandon College and Brandon University campus.
Name Access
Flora Cowan Residence
Subject Access
Aerial views Brandon College
Show Less

A first view of English and American literature

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections774
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
1911
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Moody, William Vaughn, 1869-1910
Lovett, Robert Morss, 1870-1956
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-4-96
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-4-96
Responsibility
by William Vaughn Moody and Robert Morss Lovett
Start Date
1911
Date Range
1911
Publication
New York : Charles Scribner's Sons
Physical Description
x, 386 p. : port., ; 20 cm
Notes
Copyright year 1905
"Illustrated"
Includes list of illustrations
Includes bibliographical reference and index
Subject Access
English literature History and criticism
American literature History and criticism
Storage Location
Box 4 - Literature
Storage Range
Box 4 - Literature
Show Less

English literature for university and departmental examinations : 1888, CowperÇÖs Task, ColeridgeÇÖs "The friend"

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections771
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
c1887
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Armstrong, T. C. L. (Thomas Clinton Little)
Bryant, J. E. (John Ebenezer), 1849-1909
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-4-91
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-4-91
Start Date
c1887
Date Range
c1887
Publication
Toronto : Warwick
Publisher Series
The Canadian series
Physical Description
296 p., 107 p. ; 19 cm
Notes
Cover title
Added t.p.: CowperÇÖs Task : books III and IV, The Gardenand TheWinter evening : with notes, questions and an introduction by John E. Bryant
Added t.p.: ColeridgeÇÖs "The Friend" : essays III, IV, V and VI of the Third Landing place, being thelife of Sir Alexander Ballwith introduction, notes andexercises by T.C.L. Armstrong, and appendices, biographical, geographical and historical ; also, a map of the Maltese Islands
Name Access
Cowper
William
1731-1800
Coleridge
Samuel Taylor
1772-1834
Storage Location
Box 4 - Literature
Storage Range
Box 4 - Literature
Show Less

New university arithmetic : embracing the science of numbers, and their applications according to the most improved methods of analysis and cancellation

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections1220
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
1856
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Davies, Charles, 1798-1876
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-23-604
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-23-604
Responsibility
by Charles Davies
Start Date
1856
Date Range
1856
Publication
New York : A. S. Barnes & co
Physical Description
436 p. : ill. ; 19 cm
Subject Access
Arithmetic Study and teaching
Storage Location
Box 23 - Arithmetic
Storage Range
Box 23 - Arithmetic
Show Less

Peter Parley's Universal history, on the basis of geography

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections1051
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
1871
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Goodrich, Samuel G. (Samuel Griswold), 1793-1860
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-15-419
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-15-419
Start Date
1871
Date Range
1871
Publication
New York : Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman ; Chicago : S.C. Griggs
Physical Description
700 p. : ill., maps ; 18 cm
Notes
"Illustrated by 20 maps and 125 engravings"
Includes bibliographical reference
Subject Access
World history Juvenile literature
Storage Location
Box 15 - History
Storage Range
Box 15 - History
Show Less

Brandon College Building and Clark Hall

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8273
Part Of
BUPC 2 Campus buildings
Description Level
Sub-series
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1909 - 1996; predominant 1960s - 1996
Part Of
BUPC 2 Campus buildings
Description Level
Sub-series
Series Number
2.2
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1909 - 1996; predominant 1960s - 1996
Physical Description
116 photographs
History / Biographical
BRANDON COLLEGE BUILDING The construction of the Brandon College Building, also known as the Original Building, was primarily financed by Mr. and Mrs. William Davies, a Toronto based Baptist meat packer, and his sister Mrs. Emily Davies, also of Toronto, who pledged $5,000 a year for five years to the new Baptist College. Four city blocks between 18th and 20th streets were purchased for the College campus and the tender of Messrs. T.M. Harrington of Winnipeg was accepted in the spring of 1900; Mr. Hugh McCowan of Winnipeg appointed as architect. Mrs. Davies laid the cornerstone for the Brandon College Building on July 13, 1900. The Brandon College Building was conceived as a substantial five story brick structure with a stone basement. The Tyndall Manitoba quarries, located thrity miles northeast of Winnipeg, supplied the stone and presented the College with the stone steps at the main entrance. The basement contained the dining room, kitchen, laundry, furnace room, a science laboratory, and maids' rooms. The first floor housed the reception room, office, library, four classrooms and the teachers' cloak rooms. The second floor had five classrooms, a reading room, five rooms for resident students and a resident teacher. Teachers' rooms and seventeen rooms for students comprised the third floor; and additional thirteen rooms for residents took up the fourth floor. The residence was to house 70 men. The total cost of the building and furnishings was $44,000. The Brandon College Building was ready for occupancy by October 1, 1901. CLARK HALL The cornerstone of Clark Hall was laid by Mrs. A.P. McDiarmid, wife of the Principal of Brandon College, on May 24, 1906. The residence was officially opened on Thanksgiving Day, October 18, of the same year. The construction of the building grew our of a demand for a ladies' college. A canvass made in Eastern Canada had resulted in subscriptions totaling $10,000. When Dr. McDiarmid reported the results of the canvass to the Chairman of the Board, Dr. C.W. Clark of Winnipeg, Clark proposed that he and his wife be allowed to provided the balance of the funds, some $30,000. While presenting the building at the opening ceremony, Clark stated that the reason for his donation was his belief in the power of cultured womanhood - he believed "that refined and Christian mothers were the strength of a nation and that he wished to see in Brandon a chool of learning for women in which every Christian virtue and grace might be illustrated." Clark Hall was built immediately north of the Brandon College Building and was connected to it by classrooms and the iron door with its door bell, which was rung by gentlemen before being admitted. It is a five story brick building, with fittings of imported Georgia pine. In the basement was the gymnasium, studios and maids' rooms. On the main floor was a spacious reception room furnished by the Honorable A.C. Rutherford, the Premier of Alberta and the Lady Principal's suite, furnished by Mrs. N. Wolverston, wife of the treaurer of the College Board. Music studios and the offices of the resident matron were also on the main floor. The second and third floors were dormitories. The fourth floor was meant to be art studios, but due to registration demands, it was divided into students' rooms. The residence was designed to house fifty students and seven teachers. Piano practice areas were also designated on the west side of the building and on the groundlevel half way between the basement and the first floor. BRANDON COLLEGE BUILDING AND CLARK HALL RESTORATION PROJECT By the early 1990s, it was clear that major reconstruction work on the Brandon College Building and Clark Hall was necessary if the buildings were to remain in use. The alternative was to demolish both buildings and construct a new central administrative structure for the campus. Because of the historic character of the two original campus buildings, the decision was taken to mount a complete restoration of the structures that involved a complete removal of everything except for the surrounding brick fascade and the construction of new buildings within the old external walls. This project was financed by the Provincial government of Manitoba, who granted the University approximatley 10 million dollars. The Chief Architect for the restoration was George Cibinal. Work began in 1996 and was completed by the fall of 1997. In addition to the restoration of the Brandon College Building and Clark Hall, a new entrance was built on the west side of the buildings, as well as an addition to Clark Hall, which included a skywalk connecting it to the A.E. McKenzie Building.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of photographs of the Brandon College Building and Clark Hall.
Notes
History/Bio information was taken from Brandon College: A History, 1899-1967 by C.G. Stone and F. Joan Garnett (Brandon, Manitoba: Brandon University, 1969), chapters 2 and 3. Tom Mitchell provided history/bio information on the restoration project.
Images
Show Less

A new Italian grammar for the use of schools, commercial colleges, and universities / : by Ernesto Grillo

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections1164
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
1918
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Grillo, Ernesto, 1877-1946
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-20-547
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-20-547
Start Date
1918
Date Range
1918
Publication
London, : Blackie & Son, Ltd
Physical Description
x, 295 p. ; 20 cm
Subject Access
Italian language Grammar
Storage Location
Box 20 - Italian
Storage Range
Box 20 - Italian
Show Less

Hamilton's universal tune-book : a collection of the melodies of all nations, adapted for violin, flute, clarinet, etc.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections1270
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
1853
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Manson, James
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-26-682
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-26-682
Responsibility
edited by James Manson
Start Date
1853
Date Range
1853
Publication
Glasgow : W. Hamilton
Physical Description
2 v. in 1 : music ; 20 cm
Subject Access
Tune-books
Storage Location
Box 26 - Music
Storage Range
Box 26 - Music
Show Less

8 records – page 1 of 1.