Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

19 records – page 1 of 1.

Interior of dentist's office

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13710
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1906
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.20
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1906
Physical Description
4.25" x 3.25" (b/w)
Custodial History
John Dickson (b. 17 Mar 1854, Scotland; d.15 April 1926, Brandon) was considered one of Brandon’s pioneer dentists. Dickson immigrated to Canada in 1857, where he lived in Hamilton, Ontario, for a number of years. Dickson then came to Manitoba and operated a grocery in Chater before he studied dentistry, graduating from the University of Minnesota in 1886. Dickson settled in Brandon where he married Anna Louise Harrison on 28 December 1891. The couple had four children: Mrs. Irving Cross [Mary Louise, b.20 Dec 1892, Brandon; d. 22 Oct 1981, Saratoga, NY]; Dr. John Harrison Dickson [b. 26 Aug 1894, Brandon; d. 17 June 1956, Killarney]; Dr. Stanley Rodgers Dickson [b. 18 Feb 1896, Brandon; d. 25 July 1963, Brandon]; and Mrs. Emile Baldeschweiler [Isobel Marion Coates, b. 13 Nov 1900, Brandon; d.?] of New York. Sources: “Pioneer Dentist of Brandon in Dr. John Dickson,” Brandon Daily Sun 16 Apr 1926 and Manitoba Vital Statistics database.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the interior of a dentist's office with dentist's chair and sink, as well as shelves and a table lined with medicines. This office is possibly that of Dr. John Dickson who had his practice at 804 Rosser Avenue.
Notes
Writing on the front of the photograph matting reads: December 1906.
Name Access
John Dickson
Subject Access
dentists
building interiors
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Images
Show Less

Smith & Burton, grocers

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14315
Part Of
Brandon and Area Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c. 1906
Part Of
Brandon and Area Photograph Collection
Creator
Photographer: Wilson & Larkin (Toronto)
Description Level
Item
Series Number
2
Item Number
BAPC 2.41
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c. 1906
Physical Description
6.5" x 4.25" (b/w)
Material Details
On backing board (7.25" x 5.5")
Physical Condition
Very poor. Item has been broken in half on a diagonal from top to botton. Upper right corner is missing. Various tape stains and some tape residue on the bottom left.
History / Biographical
Lottie Louisa Currie was born on September 9, 1876 in St. Mary's, Perth, ON, to William and Eleanor Currie. She came to the Brandon area with her family in the 1880s. Currie worked as a bookkeeper and stenographer for Smith & Burton, from at least 1906 until the business ceased operations in 1917. Currie continued working in bookkeeping and accounts, first for Brandon Gas & Power Co., then for the Manitoba Power Commission. She appears to have retired around 1942. She is not listed as living in Brandon between 1943-1945, but was once again a resident by 1947. Currie was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, a charter member of the Brandon Business and Professional Women's Club and in 1916, she passed her examinations for the St. John's Ambulance Association. Lottie Louisa Currie died on November 25, 1972 in Brandon, MB. Smith & Burton, a grocery store that also had mail order and china departments, was founded by E.B. Smith and John Burton in the 1886. It was housed at a few locations in downtown Brandon; their location at 829 Rosser Avenue is the one that mostly likely appears in the photograph.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of office employees at Smith & Burton, grocers. Lottie Currie, daughter of William Currie, is shown standing on the left.
Name Access
Smith & Burton
Lottie Currie
Subject Access
commerical buildings
grocers
downtown
office workers
Pioneers
Storage Location
BAPC photograph drawer
Related Material
BAPC 5.11 William Currie
Images
Show Less

Fred McGuinness in Medicine Hat News office

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14158
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1961-1964]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.227
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1961-1964]
Physical Description
10" x 8" (b/w)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the interior of Fred McGuinness' office at the Medicine Hat News. Fred is seen scribbling on a notepad at his desk. The newspaper was located at Second Street and Sixth Avenue in downtown Medicine Hat until it moved in 1981.
Name Access
Medicine Hat
Fred McGuinness
Frederick George McGuinness
Subject Access
newspapers
building interiors
winter
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #3 30-personal
Images
Show Less

Fred McGuinness in college?

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14050
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1940s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.120
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1940s]
Physical Description
3.5" x 2.5" (b/w)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows Fred McGuinness posing with another man, possibly a fellow student at the University of Manitoba.
Name Access
Fred McGuinness
Frederick George McGuinness
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #5 Family pictures
Images
Show Less

Wheat City Business College

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13653
Part Of
Brandon and Area Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920
Accession Number
3-2015
Part Of
Brandon and Area Photograph Collection
Creator
Photographer: Clark J. Smith
Description Level
Item
Series Number
4
Item Number
BAPC 4.36
Accession Number
3-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920
Physical Description
12.5" x 9.5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Some warping.
Scope and Content
Composite portrait of the Wheat City Business College class, 1920. F.A. Wood, Principal, Instructors: Mr. D.S. Forsyth; Miss. J. H. Snider; Miss. M.D. Cowan; Miss. I.E. McKewer.
Notes
Part of the Chapman Museum collection.
Name Access
Wheat City Business College
C.C. Stewart
C. Young
N. Tompkins
M. Mansfield
L. Bray
M. Atchison
E. Braybrook
M. Forsythe
W. Dunbar
E. Plaice
R.B. Dunsire
E. Sararas
W. Barr
E. Doughty
A.W. Meadows
L.S. Ling
H. Hallatt
E. Robinson
A. Dalglish
B. Cane
H. Scott
J. Machen
C.A. Stewart
A. Rogerson
W.A. Dodd
E. McMunn
N. McDonald
J. Dubbin
M. Bennett
F.W. Woodley
H. Wren
A. Chesley
A. boyd
E.A. Howell
G. Murgatroyd
E. Wallace
J. Paterson
E.E. Sararas
V. Sharp
J.S. Wood
R. Cristall
M. McAuley
J. Day
J. Scott
K.W. Beck
J. Aberdeen
M. McConnell
M. Winteringhaus
H.A. O'Neil
D.S. Forsyth
J. H. Snider
F.A. Wood
M.D. Cowan
I.E. McKewer
W. Harrison
M. Coates
H.E. Hotham
G. Gooden
R.E. Grames
K. Calladon
F.P. Burton
H. Foote
D. Wilson
N. Morris
T.A. Quigley
S. Gerry
E. Speers
E. Beatty
R. Murkle
D.H. Hunn
H. Griffith
L. Gulthorpe
E. Pugh
S. Chester
A.B. Dobbyn
L. Vaccari
Z. Bosman
P.C. Gilsthorpe
N. Goodwin
C.S. Hanford
R. Harris
C. Freedman
E. Graham
B. Campbell
R.W. Cowie
G. Roddick
E. Stone
N. Barager
P. Maxfield
M. Denise
A.B. Olive
L.G. Minions
I. Lawrence
R.H. Deans
L. Crawford
H. Hossack
R. Schwartz
B. Pottinger
M. Mains
T.C. Cunningham
M. Mattron
J.P. Connolly
D. Dixon
C. Smith
M. Buchanan
R. Hoey
E. Potter
E. Minions
D.G. Cooke
C. Timmons
A.E. Williams
E. Johns
S.C. McLeod
L. Kennedy
W.T. Lee
M. Roddick
E. Connell
B. Philip
E.E. Simmons
F. Anderson
L. Turner
B.K. Stratford
E. Hawkins
L. Simpson
A. Beatty
H.C. Edanthy
Subject Access
Education
class portraits
secondary education
Storage Location
BAPC oversize storage drawer 2
Show Less

Brandon College viewbook postcard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13882
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920s
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Printed by Photogelatine Engraving Co. Ltd., Ottawa
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.192
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920s
Physical Description
3.5" x 5.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a southwestern view of Clark Hall and the Brandon College Original Building. The Citizen Science Building is absent from the campus grounds.
Notes
Part of "Souvenir of Brandon, Manitoba, Canada [viewbook], Printed by Photogelatine Engraving Co. Limited, Ottawa." Dates obtained from the Burchill's Music Store Henderson's Brandon City Directory listings (1927-1929). Writing on the front of the photograph reads: Brandon College, Brandon, Man.
Name Access
Brandon General Hospital
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
hospitals
building exteriors
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
From 20-2009 photos
Images
Show Less

Graduating class Wheat City Business College

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13792
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1909
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.101
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1909
Physical Description
9.75" x 3.5" (b/w)
Material Details
On matting
Custodial History
Photograph was in possession of Mrs. Ruby Miles, who passed the image on to Fred McGuinness. McGuinness makes reference to Mrs. Miles and this photograph in his Sunbeams column (Source: F.A. Rosser, "Another interesting chat with a daughter of the plains," Brandon Sun 18 Aug 1981).
Scope and Content
Photograph allegedly shows the Wheat City Business College graduating class standing outside a woodframed building in the winter. Affixed to the building are posters/advertisements that read: Happyland, Monday July 30 [1906?]. A banner spelling Happyland in large block letters hangs above the building's door that is numbered 209. Surrounding the banner are the red ensign/Dominion of Canada flags. The students are wearing long wintercoats with fur collars, some are wearing fur hats. The men appear to have ribbons pinned to their lapels. On the left of the photograph, a group of three female students are sitting in a horse-drawn sleigh and have fur robes on their laps. On the right, a number of students are standing on a horse-drawn sled. Two individuals can be seen holding megaphones, another student is holding a basketball.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: 1909, Tenth Street and Princess. Two yellow labels are affixed to the back of the photograph. one reads: graduating class, Wheat City Business College. The other reads Mrs. K.L. McGregor, 157-4th St.
Name Access
Wheat City Business College
Subject Access
winter
horses
Transportation
class portraits
Storage Location
McGuinness oversize storage drawer (1-2015)
Related Material
Ruby Miles collection 14-2003
Images
Show Less

Wheat City Business College March 1911 photo postcard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13752
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1911
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.63
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1911
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.25" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Physical Condition
Postcard has graphite smudge on the top right corner of image
History / Biographical
Wheat City Business College was established in 1904, when J.W. Beveridge and F.E. Werry resigned from the Commercial Department of Brandon College to establish the Wheat City Business College. It was located originally on the top floor of the Commercial Building at 143-10th Street, owned by Hughes and Co. Wheat City Business College continued to operate until the later 1960s. In 1911, the Henderson's Brandon City Directory lists the following teachers on staff: Mamie J. Macdougall, John B. Sample, John H. Snyder, Nettie M. Werry, and F.A. Wood (principal).
Custodial History
Donated to Fred McGuinness by Allena Strath (nee Coombs).
Scope and Content
Postcard depicts the 1911 class of the Wheat City Business College. Students include: O. Mutrie, E. Mailey, J.W. Belcher, S. Downey, H.R. Dustan, G. Greaves, D. Burden, C.J. Howey, M. Madder, A. Mills, E. Ballantyne, E. Lang, A. Binnie, L. Trent, M. Clark, E. Robertson, T. Ortenburg, A. Barnes, W.B. Grainger, V. Sanderson, H. Smith, E. Horror, M. Deacon, J. Smith, S. Gardiner, C.D. McMillan, N. Barss, E.J. Scott, M. McEwen, A. Scott, W. Naser, J. Cope, M. Trotman, J. Jackson, M. Gurr, P. McChesney, A.H. Andrews, M. Agnew, R.N. Truman, L. Cameron, T.C. Taylor, G. McClement, A. Armour, M. Drake, D. Chambers, M. Bourke, W.M. McGregor, Miss. McIlmoyle, J. Tendeck, G. McChesney, J.B. Stephens, O. Thornborough, A. Connor, H. Teale, E. Karr, P. Borland, J. Middleton, M. McIlmoyle, F.A. Wood, Principal D. Chambers, M.I. McGregor, B. McDougall, M. Maxwell, W. Crane, M. Vandeau, A. Lee, A. Hargreaves, H. Gimby, J. English, A. Coombes, H.J. McAnerin, M.C. Green, A.M. McGuinness, A.E. Shingfield, R. Blanshard, C. Goldstone, R. Heyden, Q. Oliver, N. Sterling, E. Cohen, V.E. Potter, H. Bellamy, Miss Pattison, Miss N. Werry, Miss. McQuarrie, J.H. Snyder, Miss M. MacDougall, Mr. J.S. Sample, Miss Lowry, A. Standal, G. Kennedy, C. Stojanosski, J. Elliott, M. Stnartk, R. Rewand, J. Mcneill, A. Kirchner, E. Green, E. Barnett, C.H. Howey, W. Main, M. Trew, M. Livingstone, B. Donaldson, A. Miller, J. Irwin, P. Brooks, R. Frank, S.A. Brown, B. Isman, M. Spearin, S. Thorsteinson, Miss Watson, J.A. McDonald, E. Zachary,S. Baglole, C. O'Brien, M. Thompson, F. Bockus, J. Hudama, E. Thompson, F. Shanks, M. Morrison, E. Cookman, ?.S. Wedderburn, E. Robinovitch, M. Maskew, C.A. Sharpe, M. Dack, M. Cossar, L. Grassie, I. Porteous, L. Markell, G. Burden, O. Paget, L. Cunningham, H.P. Hilton, F. Neilly, M.C. Feedman, E.F. Dixon
Notes
Back of postcard reads: A HAPPY XMAS./ and A very propersous / NEW YEAR / F.A. Wood [Principal of the Wheat City Business College]. Postcard is addressed to Miss Allena Coombs, Box 628, City, and has a cancelled one cent green King George stamp postmarked December 23, 1911, Brandon, Man.
Name Access
Wheat City Business College
A.M. McGuinness
Subject Access
schools
class portraits
post-secondary education
colleges
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
BAPC 4.28
Images
Show Less

Brandon Fire Station No.2

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13996
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1913-1919]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Martel's Limited Brandon
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.66
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1913-1919]
Physical Description
7" x 4.75" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Notes
Photograph shows two horse-drawn fire wagons in front of the Brandon Fire Station No. 2. One wagon has a hose, the other wagon has an extension ladder. Fireman Ed Harden is on the reins of the ladder truck (right). Writing on the back of photograph reads: Contributed by Mrs. Ed Harden. 6th Street North, 11th & McTavish Ave, Fire Hall - now School Bd office. This picture is the same as the negative in the Lawrence Stuckey collection. Stuckey obtained a copy of the photo from George Lepard, father of Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard).
Name Access
Brandon Fire Department
Fire Station No. 2
Brandon Fire Department Personnel
Brandon fire halls
Ed Harden
Brandon Fire Department Ladder Wagon
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Brandon Fire Department Stations & Equipment
fire halls
fire engines
building exteriors
firefighters
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1F6
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Brandon Building Movers (2)

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14263
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1980s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.283
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1980s]
Physical Description
1.5 " x 1.5" (colour)
Material Details
negative
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a house being hauled by Brandon Building Movers truck down a country lane.
Name Access
Brandon Building Movers
Subject Access
Transportation Manitoba
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
Cigar boxes
Images
Show Less

Brandon Fire Station No.2 exterior

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13993
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1914
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.63
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1914
Physical Description
4.75" x 6.75" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph was removed from a photo album. Photograph is ripped.
History / Biographical
According the 1911 Henderson's Brandon City Directory, the Brandon Fire Department - headquartered at Seventh Street and Princess Avenue - had 16 permanent firemen. For equipment the department had one steamer, two chemicals, two hose wagons, one hose reel, one aerial aldder, one hook and ladder wagon, and 10 horses. The city had 34 electric fire alarm boxes and 114 fire hydrants. The pumping station had a capacity of 3.5 million gallons in 24 hours. By 1914, the Brandon Fire Department had 19 permanent employees on its roster and added 2 more horses as well as an 80 horsepower combination motor truck.
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows two horse-drawn fire wagons in front of the Brandon Fire Station No. 2. One wagon has a hose, the other wagon has an extension ladder.
Notes
Writing on the back of photograph reads: Ed Harden, Driver on the left, 1914, 11th McTavish. This picture is the same as the negative in the Lawrence Stuckey collection. Stuckey obtained a copy of the photo from George Lepard, father of Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard).
Name Access
Brandon Fire Department Ladder Wagon
Brandon Fire Department
Fire Station No. 2
Brandon Fire Department Personnel
Brandon fire halls
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Brandon Fire Department Stations & Equipment
horses
fire halls
fire engines
building exteriors
firefighters
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1F12
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Brandon Fire Station No.2 interior

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13994
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1914]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.64
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1914]
Physical Description
7" x 5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph was removed from a photo album. Photograph is creased and has tape residue.
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the interior of Brandon Fire Hall No. 2. The wagon engines are in the foreground. The firemen stand in the background, holding the bridles of the horses that are standing at the entrances of their stalls. The interior of the hall shows a brick floor and tin ceiling. Stairs lead to a wooden door that is likely the entrance to the living quarters and offices on the second floor.
Notes
Writing on the back of photograph reads: Ed Harden, Driver on the left, 1914, 11th McTavish. This picture is the same as the negative in the Lawrence Stuckey collection. Stuckey obtained a copy of the photo from George Lepard, father of Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard).
Name Access
Brandon Fire Department Ladder Wagon
Brandon Fire Department
Fire Station No. 2
Brandon Fire Department Personnel
Brandon fire halls
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Brandon Fire Department Stations & Equipment
horses
fire halls
fire engines
building interiors
firefighters
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1F7
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Album - mail service

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14231
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A23
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
Scope and Content
Photograph shows three dogs harnessed to a toboggan. A two storey wood-framed building is in the background. A man is seated on the toboggan and a young girl stands to his right.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: "Mail Service"
Subject Access
winter
dogs
post offices
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Brandon Fire Station No.2 with wooden exterior

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13995
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1913]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photography: J.W. Wilson Co., 143 Queen W., Toronto
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.65
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1913]
Physical Description
7" x 5" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Physical Condition
Matting is bent
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the wooden exterior of Brandon Fire Hall No. 2 before it was covered with a brick veneer. The firemen are standing outside the bay doors which are open and blocked with rope. The hose wagon and ladder wagon are parked inside the building. The harnesses for the horses are suspended from the ceiling.
Notes
Writing on the back of photograph reads: Mrs. Ed Harden. No. 2 Firehall, 600 Block 11th Street, Brandon, Man. This picture is the same as the negative in the Lawrence Stuckey collection. Stuckey obtained a copy of the photo from George Lepard, father of Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard).
Name Access
Brandon Fire Department
Fire Station No. 2
Brandon Fire Department Personnel
Brandon fire halls
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Brandon Fire Department Stations & Equipment
fire halls
fire engines
building exteriors
firefighters
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1F6
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Grade 2 class photo, Medicine Hat

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14135
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1962
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.204
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1962
Physical Description
7" x 5" (b/w)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a student class photo from a public school in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Miss Callum, grade 2 - 1962.
Name Access
Medicine Hat
Subject Access
class portraits
Repro Restriction
Subject to Canadian Copyright Law
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #3 Family photos
Images
Show Less

Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede - Parade Day 2

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14143
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1962
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Howard Heid, Medicine Hat News
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.212
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1962
Physical Description
10" x 8" (b/w)
History / Biographical
The Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede Parade Day was held on Thursday, July 19, 1962, at 9:30 a.m. The local newspaper reported that approximately 24,000 people were in attendance to see parade marshall Rod Ashburner leading 175 entries consisting of 90 floats, 75 horses, and 10 bands. There were 19 parade categories eligible for $12,000 in prize money and included: junior and senior cowboys and cowgirls; fancy and Shetland ponies; sulky class open; comic, commercial, industrial and organizational floats; decorated cars; special ranch class; 4-H Clubs; and a non-competitive class. The parade route started at Second St. and Allowance Ave., from Second St. to Ash Ave., north on Ash to First St. SE., from First St. S.E. to Fourth Ave., south to Second St. to South Railway St., south on South Railway St. to Third St., with a finish at McLeod Trail. A route map was published in the Medicine Hat News the day before the parade. Aerial photographs of the parade were taken by Medicine Hat News photographer Howard Heid (1930-2005) from the private helicopter of John Bourn. Bourn was a pilot from Woodville, Wisconsin, who chartered his four-seater helicopter for sight-seers at exhibitions and stampedes across the county. (Sources: Pat Currie, "Let 'Er Go!," Medicine Hat News, 19 July 1962,1; Harald Gunderson, "'Eye in the Sky' Best Parade View," Medicine Hat News, 19 July 1962,1; "Parade Starts at 9:30 Sharp," 18 July 1962)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows an aerial view of the Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede Parade route, with a focus on Second Street SE. Visible store signs include: China Wonderland, Grey Cup Cafe, Lane Bros. & Gibson Ltd., Joy's, Marshall's, Monarch, Gardener's Used Cars, Provincial Treasury Branch, Furvey's Furniture and Appliances, J.J. Moore & Son, Club Cafe, Black Hardware Ltd., Regency Billards, and Sair's Shoe Hospital.
Name Access
Medicine Hat
South Saskatchewan River
Subject Access
parades
floats
aerial photography
aerial views
street scenes
Repro Restriction
Subject to Canadian Copyright Law
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #3 Family photos
Images
Show Less

Mrs. McVicar, Brandon's first postmistress

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13733
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1920-1930s]
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.43
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1920-1930s]
Physical Description
3" x 4.75" (b/w)
History / Biographical
Mrs. McVicar was Brandon's/Grand Valley's first postmistress. Biographical details about Mrs. McVicar can be found in a newspaper clipping [F.A. ROSSER, “Sunbeams – The Birds Dived Down Like Fighters on Gopher,” Brandon Sun, September 16, 1978, 3] in McG 4.1 File 67.
Custodial History
Photograph was brought to Fred McGuinness by Owen Anderson of Cypress River, Manitoba.
Scope and Content
Photograph is a portrait of Mrs. McVicar sitting outside of her home in Texas.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph consists of greetings and salutations to the unknown recipients. Photograph "finished by Edrington's Studio, Weslaco, Texas."
Name Access
Mrs. McVicar
Subject Access
portraits
postmasters
postmistresses
post offices
Pioneers
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Images
Show Less

Frederick Gallagher McGuinness WWI portrait

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13929
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1917-1919
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Campbell's Winnipeg
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.1
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1917-1919
Physical Description
5" x 7.75" (b/w)
Material Details
under matting
History / Biographical
Frederick Gallagher McGUINNESS (b. 1891 – d. 23 May 1968) was born in Ottawa, Ontario. While in Brandon, he was a student (1911) and secretary of Boys’ Work for the YMCA in 1913. He moved to Winnipeg where he graduated from the Manitoba Medical College in 1917. On 3 December 1917, Lieutenant F.G. McGuinness enlisted with the Canadian Army Medical Corps in Winnipeg. He served in France with the Royal Army Medical Corps and was a Medical Officer attached with the Ninth Royal Irish Fusiliers. Lt. McGuiness survived the war and returned to Winnipeg where he married Myrtle Eva White in Winnipeg on 12 September 1922. They would have a son Jim “Jimmy” and a daughter Elizabeth (Shannon). Dr. McGuinness practiced in Obstetrics and Gynecology and taught at the University of Manitoba’s Medical School from 1923 onwards. He was instrumental in helping his nephew, Frederick George McGuinness return to school after he was injured in the Second World War. Dr. McGuinness died in Winnipeg at the Deer Lodge Hospital following a lengthy illness.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a WWI portrait of Frederick Gallagher McGuinness (Fred McGuinness' uncle) in a Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC) officer's uniform.
Name Access
Frederick Gallagher McGuinness
Canadian Army Medical Corps
CAMC
Subject Access
portraits
World War I
military officers
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
From loose photos, funny trunk
Images
Show Less

Christmas Tree Farm negative set 2, frames 1A to 8A

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14181
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1980s-1990s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.250
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1980s-1990s]
Physical Description
1.5" x 1.5" (b/w)
Material Details
negatives
History / Biographical
Fred McGuinness is popularly known for his work as the prairie essayist for CBC Radio’s Morningside with Peter Gzowski, a position he held for 17 years. Many of McGuinness’ Morningside essays were autobiographical in nature. He often reported about life on Christmas Tree Farm, a section of land where he and his wife, Christine, built their dream home in the late 1970s. The couple planted a Christmas tree farm on the property and Christine maintained an extensive kitchen garden, while Fred tended honey bees. Life on the farm made its way into radiobroadcasts, Neighborly News columns, and the book "Letters from Section 17: A Collection of Morningside Essays" (Winnipeg: Great Plains Publishing, 1999).
Scope and Content
Set consists of 8 negatives showing a delivery of saplings to the McGuinness property, Christmas Tree Farm, Section 17
Name Access
Christmas Tree Farm
Section 17
Brandon Building Movers Ltd
Subject Access
residences
farms
trees
Transportation
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
RR #8 photos
Show Less

19 records – page 1 of 1.