Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

20 records – page 1 of 1.

Purity Flour, Western Canada Flour Mills Company

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14000
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1920-1930]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Printed: Crawford's Drug Store, Brandon
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.70
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1920-1930]
Physical Description
4.25" x 2.5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph is stamped on the back
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a group of individuals posing with a Purity Flour, Western Canada Flour Mills Company truck. Two men pose by the drive-side door and another two pose by the tail gate. Standing in the truck's payload are 13 individuals. It is possible that Edith Lepard (nee Harden) third from left and her mother, Catherine "Kate" Harden (nee Chalmers), third from right are standing in the payload.
Notes
The back of the photograph is stamped: Crawford's Drug Store, Brandon
Name Access
Purity Flour
Western Canada Flour Mills Co.
Edith Harden
Kate Harden
Subject Access
advertising
women
children
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Purity Flour, Western Canada Flour Mills Company

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14005
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1920-1930]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Printed: Crawford's Drug Store, Brandon
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.75
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1920-1930]
Physical Description
10.75" x 7" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph is stamped on the back
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a group of individuals posing with a Purity Flour, Western Canada Flour Mills Company truck. Two men pose by the drive-side door and another two pose by the tail gate. Standing in the truck's payload are 13 individuals. It is possible that Edith Lepard (nee Harden) third from left and her mother, Catherine "Kate" Harden (nee Chalmers), third from right are standing in the payload.
Notes
The back of the photograph is stamped: Crawford's Drug Store, Brandon
Name Access
Purity Flour
Western Canada Flour Mills Co.
Edith Harden
Kate Harden
Subject Access
advertising
women
children
Storage Location
McGuinness oversize storage drawer (1-2015)
Related Material
McG 9 1-2015.70
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Spafford brothers at Oak Lake 1917

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13762
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1917
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.73
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1917
Physical Description
4.5" x 2.75" (b/w)
History / Biographical
Harry Spafford (b. 22 Oct 1888, d. 10 May 1978) was born in Holmfield, Manitoba. He married Isabella Hawking of Ninga in 1914 and the couple moved to Brandon in 1915 where they continued to reside until 1973. Harry worked as a locomotive fireman and then as an engineer with the Canadian Northern Railway (CN). While with CN, he was an active member of the Brotherhood of Local Engineers and Firemen No. 788 of Brandon. He served as an alderman in Brandon from 1928 to 1945. In 1932, Harry ran in the Manitoba by-election for Brandon as an Independent Labour candidate and lost to the Conservative member George Dinsdale. In 1952, Harry ran as a Co-Operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) member in the provincial election and lost to Conservative party representative Reg Lissaman. Harry Spafford passed away in Burnaby, BC, and is interred in the Ocean View Cemetery. (Source: see obituary in McG 4.1 File 66) Alva/Alvery/"Alvie" Reddell/Riddell/Ridall Spafford (b. 15 Mar 1891, d. 23 Aug 1985) was born in Enterprise, Manitoba, in the R.M. of Turtle Mountain. In 1911, he married Francis Ethel Harrison (d. 1979) in Killarney and had three children. Alvie farmed in Bannerman from 1902 to 1936, after which he moved to Boissevain to work as a Rawleigh salesman. In 1942, the family moved to Brandon where Alvie worked as a conductor with the CNR until his retirement. Alva Spafford passed away at the age of 94 at the Brandon General Hospital. His funeral was held in Killarney, Manitoba. (Source: Obituary, Brandon Sun, 23 Aug 1985)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the Spafford brothers posing with their geese after a successful hunt. The brothers are standing in front of a canvas tent with the birds strung between the tent poles.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Oak Lake 1917, lots of geese and ducks, Harry on right, Alvie on the left.
Name Access
Harry Spafford
Alvie Spafford
Alva Spafford
Oak Lake
Subject Access
hunting
duck hunting
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Images
Show Less

Album - Lake Talbot Trestle

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14223
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A15
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
History / Biographical
The Lake Talbot tresle was a point along the Algoma Central Railway line that connected the Helen Mine to the Michipicoten Harbour. It is located north of Wawa and southwest of the Helen Mine.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows several men walking a railway line. Before them is a tresle bridge.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: Lake Talbott Tresle [sic.]
Subject Access
Railroad Transportation
railways
mines
railroads
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Early scene of Rosser Avenue facing west

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13782
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1882
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: I. Bennetto & Co. (Winnipeg)
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.93
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1882
Physical Description
9.25" x 6.26" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Physical Condition
Photograph mat is bent. Emulsion problems with image.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows Rosser Avenue in its incipient stages. Canvas tents are mixed amongst wooden structures. The James Smart Hardware store, Winter & O'Neail Groceries & Provisions, and the law office of F.G.A. Henderson in the Molesworth Block can be seen on the north side of Rosser Avenue. A street sign designating 6th Street can be seen below the Winter & O'Neail sign. A horse and buggie is traveling down the dirt track that is Rosser Avenue. Groups of men can be seen congregating outside some of the local businesses.
Notes
Front of photograph reads: Rosser Avenue, Brandon 1882-1883, from east of Six Street. Back of photograph is stamped: I. Bennetto & Co., Photographers, Opposite Post-Office, Winnipeg, Man.
Name Access
James Smart Hardware store
Winter & O'Neail Groceries and Provisions
F.G.A. Henderson Law Office
Molesworth Block
Rosser Avenue
Subject Access
downtown
hardware stores
Pioneers
dry goods
street scenes
Brandon Street Scenes Before 1940
grocery stores
lawyers
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Images
Show Less

W.A. Elliott and early auto in front of the Prince Edward Hotel

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13788
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Brandon Sun
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.99
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Physical Description
9.5" x 7.75" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph exfoliated on edges where masking tape has been removed.
History / Biographical
In 1912, the Brandon Daily Sun (30 September 1912) published an article about the 7th Annual Meeting of the Manitoba Association of Architects that was held at the Prince Edward Hotel on September 28. It was the first time that the association held an annual meeting outside of Winnipeg. Local architect W.A. Elliott was elected first vice president of the assocation. As part of the meeting's entertainment, the Brandon Automobile Club provided excursions around the city, making special stops at the fair grounds, industrial school, new asylum buildings, and the experimental farm.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a group of gentlemen wearing overcoats and hats posing with a motor car parked in front of the Prince Edward Hotel. A Brandon pennant is attached to the windshield of the vehicle. The large man standing second from the right wearing a light top hat and coat is architect W.A. Elliott.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Return to Brandon Sun, F.V. Haney and T.W. Willey, September 14, 1912.
Name Access
W.A. Elliott
Prince Edward Hotel
Subject Access
Transportation
automobiles
motor cars
architects
hotels
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1L5
Images
Show Less

Interior of Hanbury Mill

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13797
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1924
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.106
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1924
Physical Description
8" x 6" (b/w)
Material Details
On matting
Physical Condition
Photograph is scratched
Custodial History
Photograph was in possession of Mrs. Ruby Miles, who passed the image on to Fred McGuinness. McGuinness makes reference to Mrs. Miles and this photograph in his Sunbeams column (Brandon Sun 14 September 1978).
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the interior of the Hanbury Manufacturing Co. Mill. Men identified in the photograph include: Mr. Tom McKenzie (right), Elden Darrow, and Jack Silliker.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Mrs. R. Miles. Provenience and identifications obtained from Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Name Access
Hanbury Manufacturing Co.
Tom McKenzie
Eldon Darrow
Jack Silliker
Subject Access
manufactured products
mills
saw mills
forest products
logs
lumber
Brandon Industries
store interiors
building interiors
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
logging
lumbering
lumber manufacturing
Storage Location
McGuinness oversize storage drawer (1-2015)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1H11 Ruby Miles collection 14-2003, File 2
Images
Show Less

Portrait of two women in winter dress c.1910

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13790
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1910
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.25
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1910
Physical Description
3" x 4.75" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Physical Condition
Postcard is ripped and worn.
Scope and Content
Postcard is a studio portait of two women dressed for winter. The woman on the left is standing and is wearing a long winter coat, a while fur stole muffler. The woman on the right is seated in a wicker chair. She is wearing a three-quarter length winter coat with a black fur collar and trim and muffler.
Notes
Back of postcard reads: Harry Finnegan Nov. 16 1910, Zella Russel..., Nov. 27 19...
Subject Access
portraits
winter
women
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Images
Show Less

Album - Lake Superior

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14210
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A2
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the shores of Lake Superior
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: Lake Superior
Name Access
Lake Superior
Subject Access
lakes
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A16
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
Scope and Content
Photograph shows two wooden buildings along a lake shore. Stencilled on one building is: The Mammoth Clothing. A wood-framed boat rests behind one of the structures.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: Wawa Lake
Name Access
Wawa, Ontario
Subject Access
lakes
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Album - shack by the lake

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14236
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A28
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped and pencil-marked
Scope and Content
Photograph shows log cabins buried in snow.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: The Shack by the Lake.
Subject Access
winter
snow
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Mulgrave, N.S. train station postcard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13938
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1940s
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photograph by: Fad Foto
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.10
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1940s
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the train station at the port of Mulgrave, Nova Scotia. Possibly the site where the HMCS Alachasse was docked when Fred McGuinness was a telegraphers in the Canadian Navy.
Notes
Writing on the back of the postcard reads: AZO post card
Name Access
Mulgrave, Nova Scotia
Subject Access
train stations
railways
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
Loose photos in funny trunk
Images
Show Less

Building fire near rail yard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14127
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1960-1965]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.196
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1960-1965]
Physical Description
3" x 3" (b/w)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a dark cloud of smoke emerging from a building or warehouse near a train yard.
Subject Access
fires
trains
railways
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #3 Family photos
Images
Show Less

Building fire near rail yard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14128
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1960-1965]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.197
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1960-1965]
Physical Description
3" x 3" (b/w)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a dark cloud of smoke emerging from a building or warehouse near a train yard.
Subject Access
fires
trains
railways
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #3 Family photos
Images
Show Less

Album - yard at Brient

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14216
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A8
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
History / Biographical
Brient was a point along the Algoma Central Railway line that connected the Helen Mine to the Michipicoten Harbour. It is located southwest of Wawa, Ontario.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows ore box cars in a railway yard.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: yard at Brient
Name Access
Brient, Ontario
Subject Access
mines
railways
Transportation
winter
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Album - Trembley iron ore cars

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14221
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A13
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
History / Biographical
Trembley was a point along the Algoma Central Railway line that connected the Helen Mine to the Michipicoten Harbour. It is located southwest of Wawa, Ontario.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows railroad tracks. A line of ore cars stretch along one track. Writing on the side of one of the cars (#3017) reads: Algoma Central Railway Co.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: Trembley - Ore Cars
Name Access
Algoma Central Railway Co.
Subject Access
Railroad Transportation
railways
mines
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Album - station at Brient

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14217
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A9
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
History / Biographical
Brient was a point along the Algoma Central Railway line that connected the Helen Mine to the Michipicoten Harbour. It is located southwest of Wawa, Ontario.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows several men standing on railway tracks before a wood-framed train station in the winter. A sign attached to the station reads: British American Express Co. The man in the foreground appears to have a mailbag over on his back and several newspapers tucked beneath his arm.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: station at Brient
Name Access
Brient, Ontario
Subject Access
railways
train stations
Transportation
winter
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

Album - Algoma Central and Hudson Bay Line

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14222
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.277.A14
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
4" x 2.5" (b/w)
Material Details
mounted in album
Physical Condition
Photo is warped
History / Biographical
In 1901, American entrepreneur Francis Hector Clergue (1856-1939) obtained the charter for the Ontario, Hudson Bay and Western Railway. Following his purchase, he reincoporated the Algoma Central Railway to the Algoma Central and Hudson's Bay Railway. (Source: Sault St. Mairie Public Library, "Transportation - Algoma Central Railway," Sault History Online, 2008)
Scope and Content
Photograph shows railroad tracks cutting through the Canadian Shield.
Notes
Writing beneath the photograph in the album reads: Algoma Central & Hundson Bay Ry.
Name Access
Algoma Central Railway Co.
Subject Access
Railroad Transportation
railways
mines
railroads
Storage Location
1-2015 McG 1.4 Box 1 (in stacks, top shelf)
Images
Show Less

RG2SF1 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4352
Part Of
RG 2 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba Association fonds
Description Level
Sous-fonds
GMD
multiple media
Date Range
1903-1991
Part Of
RG 2 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba Association fonds
Description Level
Sous-fonds
Fonds Number
RG2SF1
GMD
multiple media
Date Range
1903-1991
Physical Description
3.47 m textual records; 793 graphics
History / Biographical
The Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba has been an institution almost as long as Brandon has been a city, although under the guise of several different names. The idea of an exhibition came from Charles Whitehead, who was the founder and first president of the fair. Whitehead was one of the earliest and most prominent businessmen in Brandon. The first Brandon fair was organized in October of 1882, by the Brandon Agricultural Society (BAS). The Board of Directors of the BAS offered up two hundred dollars in prize money, but poor weather and a subsequently small turnout of people and exhibits to the downtown location caused the fair to do poorly. Undeterred, the Board of Directors began to make plans for the second fair, in what was to become an annual event. This time, due to generous grants from the city, district, and province, the Board of Directors was able to purchase land just south of the city to hold the fair on and built a Crystal Palace to hold exhibits in. In October 1883, there were seven hundred and thirty entries, and the fair, the first to be held on the new fair grounds, was considered successful. The Brandon Exhibition was not financially sound however, and by 1888, the Directors knew that major changes had to be made if they wanted to continue the fair. It was decided that October was not the best time to hold an agricultural exhibition because most farmers were in the middle of harvesting and did not have time to leave their farms for an exhibition. A decision was made to move the exhibition to the summer, when most farmers could get away for a few days. In July 1889, the first Brandon summer fair was held. The Directors had managed to revamp the fair in order to appeal to the wider public. The fair was a huge success, with both city and rural people attending. The Board of Directors formally established the Western Agricultural and Arts Association (WAAA) in 1892 to take over management duties of the fair from the BAS. However, the first meeting of the WAAA was not until 1897. There is no explanation for the five year delay. The WAAA received generous donations from the various governments, and the citizens of Brandon. In 1897, the Board of Directors purchased another 42 acres of land from the city that was located beside the fair grounds. They erected a grandstand and new stables. Prize money was increased, there were special prizes offered for the first time, and special exhibition trains were available to transport fair goers at a reduced rate. The 1897 fair was the major turning point for the Brandon exhibition. The fair appealed to both urban and rural dwellers. The Board wanted to put Brandon on the map, and accordingly, they brought forward events and entertainment that would do so. The first Traveller’s Day, still running strong today, was put on in 1912. The parade associated with it was unlike any Brandon had seen before. Despite the attractions, carnivals and midways that were beginning to dominate the fair, organizers insisted that it was still primarily an agricultural event. The promotion of agriculture was still prominent at the exhibition. As local historians have written, “the exhibition symbolized the accomplishments and potential of the region, and encouraged all agriculturists to strive towards higher standards.” By 1912, all outstanding loans had been paid off, and the Board of Directors could boast an eleven thousand dollar surplus in funds. As well, the physical assets available to the summer fair were expanded dramatically in 1913. In 1913, Brandon was granted the honour of hosting the Dominion Exhibition. From the funding that came in for this prestigious event the Board of Directors was able to build a new grandstand, erect new display buildings, replace the racetrack, and generally expand and improve the fair grounds. Another 80 acres of land was bought from the city for the summer fair. The Brandon Dominion Exhibition was declared open on 15 July 1913 by Manitoba Premier Rodmond Roblin. Although it was a resounding success, the Directors ended up having to pay for parts of it out of their own pockets. Canada entered World War One in the late summer of 1914. The WAAA reached an agreement with the military that the army could use the fairgrounds during the year if they allowed the WAAA use of the grounds for the fair week. Because of limitations put on the fair because of the war, the Brandon exhibition became more involved with the Western Canada Fair Circuit. This organization enabled the summer fair to join in the exhibitions that worked together to bring events like the midway to their exhibitions. It was also during this time that moral reform became more prevalent in Canadian society. Due to this growing concern with moral purity and the desire for social reform, the Directors had to find ways to ensure that the summer exhibition did not cross the boundaries of good taste. There was a short-lived protest in 1913 against horseracing, but by 1916, then-president of the fair, R.M. Matheson, cast the tie breaking vote in favour of letting both the horseracing and the betting continue. By 1917, the Board had decided against allowing betting, but the horseracing was allowed to continue. After the war ended, financial stress on the part of the winter fair brought forward a proposal to amalgamate the summer and winter fairs. The provincial government stated that they were interested in supporting an amalgamation, and the two fair boards resolved to consider the option. In spring of 1920, the winter fair backed out the deal because they felt they would lose out to the WAAA in the deal. Not to be deterred, the WAAA applied for incorporation with the provincial government. On 3 April 1920, the WAAA was incorporated as the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba (PEM). In 1920, the official title of the summer fair was changed from the Inter-Provincial Exhibition to the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba. After incorporation the Board of Directors was increased to a membership of twenty. The provincial exhibition continued to increase and change with the times. The directors tried to make each fair interesting and stimulating for the people of Brandon and the surrounding areas. A Manitoba Government Building was opened in 1927, by Premier John Bracken, and an Automobile Building opened in 1927. By 1929, the Provincial Exhibition was one of the leading summer exhibitions in Western Canada. Unfortunately, 1929 was also the beginning of a decade-long Depression throughout Canada and the United States. The exhibition continued though, although at a less grandiose level. The exhibition was the site of some work relief programs throughout the thirties, but the grants were generally small. It was also during the 1930s that people began wanting a change in the management of the Board. For many years, almost since the inception of the fair, the Board had been run by the same group of men who took turns in the various positions. In 1933, there were several men brought forward to run against the Directors at the annual general meeting. A total of forty four nominations went up for the twenty positions. After the dust had settled, seven new faces took seats around the Directors table. During World War Two, the Provincial Exhibition managed to continue. The Board made an agreement with the military that while their buildings could be used by the military during the war, the fair would be able to take control of the buildings for fair week. While the fair remained open, its exhibits were hampered by the war. In 1942, for example, the Wartime Prices and Trades Board declared that farm machinery could not be exhibited for the duration. This was one of the fair’s bigger draws, and its absence was felt greatly. As another concession to the war, the livestock show had to be reduced from five days to three, although this decision was met by protest from many of the directors. Despite these impediments, the entries into the agricultural exhibits continued to increase. Horse racing, long a bone of contention among members of the Board was almost eliminated in 1942, but a compromise was made and the Directors allowed one day of racing at the 1943 fair. After the war, the prize money increased by up to twenty-five percent in an effort to increase the number of exhibitors. Many new events were added to the fair roster, including an annual 4-H show and farm camps for children. A Trade Show was added in 1952 and became a large success. The fair always enjoyed support from the City of Brandon, although there were the occasional tensions between the two. In 1955 the Board approved a proposal by R.A. Hodges to sponsor a Dream Home contest. While the attraction was a big success, the Directors evidently did not receive the cut of the proceeds that Hodges had promised them. The fair Board ended up fifty-five hundred dollars in debt. In 1958 an attempt was made to break the all male hold on the directorate. While no women were elected to the Board itself, a Women’s Advisory Committee was created to provide input into fair activities. The original committee was made up of Mrs. D. Elviss, Mrs. D. Graham, Mrs. G. McRae, and Mrs. F. Heeney. It was also during this time that the Board began to face more direct competition from Winnipeg. The Red River Exhibition had been operating for several years, and its Board of Directors wanted their exhibition to be admitted into the Western Canadian Association of Exhibition. This would not have been particularly good for the Brandon Provincial Exhibition. Partly due to the Brandon Board’s vigorous protests, Winnipeg was only granted an associate membership. By the end of 1958, the Brandon fair was once again facing financial difficulties. The Provincial Exhibition was at its peak at the end of the 1950s. By 1961 the fair recorded a net loss of sixty-five hundred dollars. Because of financial problems, the fair Board had to mortgage its property for $50 000. As well, the Royal American Shows left Brandon for Winnipeg in 1966, leaving the Directors scrambling to find another midway. It took several years and several different companies before the Directors settled on the Conklin Brothers Shows. To make matters worse, the grandstand was condemned in 1974, leaving the fair without a place to hold its grandstand show. This show was replaced by the Western Canada Rodeo Circuit, in an attempt to regain patrons. By 1966 both the summer and winter fair Boards had decided that one facility could be used to house both the summer and winter fairs. Both financially and practically, it became an increasingly good idea to merge the two fairs together. In 1969, the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba and the Manitoba Winter Fair were amalgamated to become the Manitoba Exhibition Association. Ground was broken a few years later on the summer fair grounds, and by 1972, the Keystone Centre was open for business. The official opening was at the 1973 Winter Fair. From then on, the Provincial Exhibition, Royal Manitoba Winter Fair and, later, AgEx, were housed in the same building, and run by the same board of directors.
Custodial History
These files were housed with the WAAA, the PEM, and the MEA until c1986 when they were transferred to the S.J. McKee Archives at Brandon University.
Scope and Content
The sous-fonds consists of textual records and photographs from the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba. The textual records include prize lists, programs, minutes, financial, contracts, by laws, administrative files, original results, news releases, scrapbooks and tickets. The photographs include animal shows and events, dignitaries, entertainment, attractions, ceremonies, buildings and other events. It has been divided into eleven series, including: (1) Documents; (2) Minutes; (3) Financial reocrds; (4) Administrative files; (5) Prize lists and programs; (6) News releases; (7) Original results; (8) Tickets; (9) Photographs; (10) Scrapbooks; and (11) Miscellaneous.
Storage Location
RG 2 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba Association fonds RG2SF1 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba
Show Less

Provincial exhibition of Manitoba documents

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4353
Part Of
RG 2 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba Association fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1910-1972
Part Of
RG 2 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba Association fonds
Description Level
Series
Fonds Number
RG2SF1
Series Number
1.1
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1910-1972
Physical Description
25 cm
History / Biographical
These documents were created between 1910 and 1972 by the administration of the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba.
Custodial History
See sous-fonds RG2SF1 for custodial history.
Scope and Content
This series includes various contracts and agreements between the Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba and companies hired for the fair. These companies include musicians, entertainment, stage hands, concessions and more. The series also includes inventories, by laws, the 1920 Act of Incorporation. Most of the documents are from 1957 to 1962.
Notes
Inventory of documents in the series is available in the printed finding aid.
Storage Location
RG 2 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba Association fonds RG2SF1 Provincial Exhibition of Manitoba
Show Less

20 records – page 1 of 1.