Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

19 records – page 1 of 1.

City Hall and YMCA viewbook postcard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13885
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920s
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Printed by Photogelatine Engraving Co. Ltd., Ottawa
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.195
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1920s
Physical Description
3.5" x 5.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows two separate views. One is of the main entrance of (Old) City Hall on Princess Avenue. The other view shows the ediface of the YMCA building as well as the adjacent St. Paul's United and First United Churches on 8th Street.
Notes
Part of "Souvenir of Brandon, Manitoba, Canada [viewbook], Printed by Photogelatine Engraving Co. Limited, Ottawa." Dates obtained from the Burchill's Music Store Henderson's Brandon City Directory listings (1927-1929). Writing on the front of the photograph reads: City Hall - Brandon, Man; YMCA, St. Paul's United & First Church United, Brandon, Man.
Name Access
YMCA
St. Paul's United Church
First United Church
City Hall
Old City Hall
8th Street
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
churches
building exteriors
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
From 20-2009 photos
Images
Show Less

Churches of Brandon postcard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13871
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1910s
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Published by Christie's Bookstore, Brandon, Man.
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.181
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1910s
Physical Description
3.5" x 5.5" (colour)
Material Details
postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows exterior views of five Brandon churches: Baptist Church, Presbyterian Church, St. Matthew's Church, Catholic Church and Monastery, and Methodist Church.
Notes
Part of "Christie's Brandon Series of Six Colored Picture Postcards of Brandon, Manitoba, The Crown Series, Published by Christie's Bookstore, Brandon, Man." [note: missing sixth postcard]. Writing on the front of the photograph reads: Baptist Church, Presbyterian Church Brandon Man., St. Matthew's Church, Catholic Church and Monastery, Methodist Church.
Name Access
St. Matthew's Church
St. Augustine's Church
First Baptist Church
Presbyterian Church
Methodist Church
Subject Access
churches
building exteriors
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
From 20-2009 File 9
Images
Show Less

Aerial view of 10th Street facing south from Princess Avenue

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8420
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1940
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Creator
Photographer: Jerrett Photo
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.42
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1940
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Physical Condition
Red ink stain is on the front right corner of postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows 10th Street facing south from Princess Avenue. Visible landmarks and businesses include: Manitoba Power Commission (MPC)'s power sub-station, First Baptist Church, Wheat City Arena, and the grand stand at the Exhibition Grounds. The partial sign visible at the bottom of the photograph on the east side of 10th Street reads Yates and Neale, which refers to a plumbing and heating company that dissolved in 1943 to be replaced by Neale, Stothard and Chapman. Businesses on the west side of 10th Street include: Dominion Tire & Radio Co., Bolts Barber Shop, Elviss T.E. Co. Stables.
Notes
Information concerning Yates and Neale courtesy Jack Stothard. Writing on the front of the postcard reads: Brandon, Looking S.W., Jerrett Photo. This photograph shows a rare view of the 200-block of 10th Street.
Name Access
Manitoba Power Company
10th Street
Dominion Tire & Radio Co.
T.E. Elviss Co. Stables
First Baptist Church
Subject Access
downtowns
street scenes
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
aerial views
building exteriors
residences
churches
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

Ninth Street Looking South

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9210
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1911
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
I.C. Barton (Chicago)
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1C22
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1911
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
View of Ninth Street south from Christie Building
Notes
Shows: St. Paul's Church, Old City Hall, Prince Edward Hotel under construction
Name Access
Ninth Street Looking South
Subject Access
downtowns
businesses
hotels
city halls
churches
Brandon Street Scenes Before 1940
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Lorne Avenue, looking west from St. Augustine's Church postcard

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13937
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1952
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photograph by: J.V.
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.9
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1952
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.5" (colour)
Material Details
postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a western view of the residential area along Lorne Avenue from St. Augustine's Roman Catholic Church. Roof-tops of Central School, First Baptist, Brandon College, Manitoba Power Plant, and Old City Hall are visible.
Notes
Writing on the front of the postcard reads: Lorne Avenue, looking West from St. Augustine's R.C. Church, Brandon, Man. Writing on the back of the postcard reads: The Valentine & Sons Publishing Ltd., Montreal and London, Printed in Great Britain. A cancelled George VI purple Canada 3 cent stamp has been postmarked: Brandon SP 11 52.
Name Access
Lorne Avenue
Subject Access
residential streets
residences
churches
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
McG BR#9 - "Ashgrove Farms CBC"
Images
Show Less

Mrs. Scott's residence, Kemnay 1893

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13689
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1893
Accession Number
6-2008
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Irwin
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
6-2008.3
Accession Number
6-2008
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1893
Physical Description
9.5" x 7" (b/w)
Material Details
On matting
Physical Condition
Foxing on matting and photograph, primarily along edges of photograph
Custodial History
Mona McKinnon (nee Corkish) gave photograph to Colleen McGuinness who, in turn, gave it to her father, Fred McGuinness in 2007.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows Mrs. Scott's residence in Kemnay, Manitoba. Members of the family along with two horse-drawn buggies are clearly visible along the front of the house. A possbile church appears to the right of the house in the background.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Margaret Brown Scott, Mother in law to, Frank McGee Sr.
Name Access
Kemnay, MB
Margaret Brown Scott
Subject Access
residences
early transportation
buggies
churches
Rural Manitoba
Storage Location
McGuinness oversize storage drawer (1-2015)
Images
Show Less

St. Paul's Presbyterian Church interior

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions10117
Part Of
RG 12 Brandon and Area Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900-1901]
Part Of
RG 12 Brandon and Area Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
2
Item Number
BAPC 2.4
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900-1901]
Physical Description
4" x 6" (b/w)
History / Biographical
St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, which became St. Paul's United Church, and then Central United Church was located at 327 8th Street in Brandon, MB. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1986.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the interior of the St. Paul's Presbyterian Church in Brandon, MB.
Notes
History/Bio information provided by Jim Stettner, Organ Historical Society Database (2022).
Name Access
St. Paul's Presbyterian Church
Subject Access
Church buildings
churches
public buildings
Storage Location
BAPC photograph drawer
Images
Show Less

St. Agnes Anglican (1902) Church and manse, Carberry, Manitoba.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions10626
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 12, 1978
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.3
Item Number
1-2002.3.3.CPR[97b]
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 12, 1978
Physical Description
2.5"x2.5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Image of St. Agnes Anglican (1902) Church and manse, Carberry, Manitoba. Image was taken along the CPR Carberry Subdivision track.
Notes
[Mr. Stuckey put four negatives in the same envelope. We have separated them and numbered them (97a) to (97d)].
Name Access
Carberry, Manitoba
St. Agnes Anglican Church
Subject Access
Church buildings
churches
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder of the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

St. Agnes Anglican (1902) Church and manse, Carberry, Manitoba.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions10630
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 12, 1978
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.3
Item Number
1-2002.3.3.CPR[97c]
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 12, 1978
Physical Description
2.5"x2.25"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Image of St. Agnes Anglican (1902) Church and manse, Carberry, Manitoba. Image was taken along the CPR Carberry Subdivision track.
Notes
[Mr. Stuckey put four negatives in the same envelope. We have separated them and numbered them (97a) to (97d)].
Name Access
Carberry, Manitoba
St. Agnes Anglican Church
Subject Access
Church buildings
churches
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder of the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

St. Agnes Anglican (1902) Church and manse, Carberry, Manitoba.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions10629
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 12, 1978
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.3
Item Number
1-2002.3.3.CPR[97a]
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 12, 1978
Physical Description
2.5"x2.5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Image of St. Agnes Anglican (1902) Church and manse, Carberry, Manitoba. Image was taken along the CPR Carberry Subdivision track.
Notes
[Mr. Stuckey put four negatives in the same envelope. We have separated them and numbered them (97a) to (97d)].
Name Access
Carberry, Manitoba
St. Agnes Anglican Church
Subject Access
Church buildings
churches
houses
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder of the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Two Bridges over Little Souris River

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9915
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
July 1938
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB1
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
July 1938
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Two bridges over the Little Souris River, located south of Brandon on Highway 25 [became Manitoba Provincial Highway 10].
Notes
[Foreground] iron bridge is original
Wooden bridge [in background] was built when the road was diverted (with less curve) around creek in mid 1930s
Present bridge is on the site of original bridge.
Name Access
Two Bridges over Little Souris River
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Willow Creek Bridge

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9916
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
August 18, 1947
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB2
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
August 18, 1947
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 4"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Willow Creek Bridge
Notes
Old concrete bridge on Valley Road [Provincial Road 457]
Built ca. 1921, replaced in 1970s.
Name Access
Willow Creek Bridge
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Iron Bridge over Little Saskatchewan River

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9917
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 1973
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB3
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
December 1973
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Iron bridge over Little Saskatchewan River
Notes
Located west of Brandon on Valley Road [Provincial Road 459].
Name Access
Iron Bridge over Little Saskatchewan River
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Assiniboine River Bridge North of Kemnay

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9920
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1938]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
George H. Harris
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB5(1)
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1938]
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
This bridge was condemned in the late 1930s but cyclists continued to use it until it was torn down (approximately 1940)
Until the early 1920s the Canadian Pacific Railway maintained a well and pumping station near the southeast corner of this bridge, which pumped water through a pipeline to a locomotive watering tank at Kemnay.
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Assiniboine River Bridge North of Kemnay
Notes
[Mr. Stuckey put a negative and print in the same envelope. We have separated them, numbering the negative OB5(1) and the print OB5(1a).]
Name Access
Assiniboine River Bridge North of Kemnay
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Assiniboine River Bridge North of Kemnay

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9921
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1938]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
George H. Harris
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB5(1a)
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1938]
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Photograph
History / Biographical
This bridge was condemned in the late 1930s but cyclists continued to use it until it was torn down (approximately 1940)
Until the early 1920s the Canadian Pacific Railway maintained a well and pumping station near the southeast corner of this bridge, which pumped water through a pipeline to a locomotive watering tank at Kemnay.
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Assiniboine River Bridge North of Kemnay
Notes
[Mr. Stuckey put a negative and print in the same envelope. We have separated them, numbering the negative OB5(1) and the print OB5(1a).]
Name Access
Assiniboine River Bridge North of Kemnay
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
January 22, 1979
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB6
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
January 22, 1979
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Halls' Bridge
Notes
Located on Provincial Trunk Highway 21, north of Griswold
Name Access
Halls' Bridge
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Grand Trunk Pacific Bridge Piers

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9923
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
June 1940
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
George H. Harris
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB7
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
June 1940
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 4"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Grand Trunk Pacific bridge piers
Notes
Shows centre pier
[Notes on negative read "Near Brandon; Never Used; Dated 1913"]
Name Access
Grand Trunk Pacific Bridge Piers
Subject Access
manmade geographic features
bridges
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

New Culvert and Causeway Across Assiniboine River

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9918
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
May 23, 1989
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB4(1)
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
May 23, 1989
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
Causeway was basically complete by this date; Opening made for spring runoff (noted 3/18/90).
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
New culvert and causeway across Assiniboine River
Notes
See correspondence with Len Evans MLA; [Mr. Stuckey put two negatives in same envelope. We have separated and numbered them OB4(1) and OB4(2).]
Name Access
New Culvert and Causeway Across Assiniboine River
Subject Access
water control
drainage
manmade geographic features
causeways
culverts
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

New Culvert and Causeway Across Assiniboine River

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9919
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
May 23, 1989
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Creator
L.A. Stuckey
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1OB4(2)
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
May 23, 1989
Physical Description
2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
Causeway was basically complete by this date; Opening made for spring runoff (noted 3/18/90).
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
New culvert and causeway across Assiniboine River
Notes
See correspondence with Len Evans MLA; [Mr. Stuckey put two negatives in same envelope. We have separated and numbered them OB4(1) and OB4(2).]
Name Access
New Culvert and Causeway Across Assiniboine River
Subject Access
water control
drainage
manmade geographic features
causeways
culverts
Brandon Area Bridges
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

19 records – page 1 of 1.