Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

87 records – page 3 of 5.

Brandon Fire Station No.2

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13996
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1913-1919]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Martel's Limited Brandon
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.66
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1913-1919]
Physical Description
7" x 4.75" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Notes
Photograph shows two horse-drawn fire wagons in front of the Brandon Fire Station No. 2. One wagon has a hose, the other wagon has an extension ladder. Fireman Ed Harden is on the reins of the ladder truck (right). Writing on the back of photograph reads: Contributed by Mrs. Ed Harden. 6th Street North, 11th & McTavish Ave, Fire Hall - now School Bd office. This picture is the same as the negative in the Lawrence Stuckey collection. Stuckey obtained a copy of the photo from George Lepard, father of Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard).
Name Access
Brandon Fire Department
Fire Station No. 2
Brandon Fire Department Personnel
Brandon fire halls
Ed Harden
Brandon Fire Department Ladder Wagon
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Brandon Fire Department Stations & Equipment
fire halls
fire engines
building exteriors
firefighters
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1F6
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Brandon Fire Department nominal roll

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13997
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Creator
Photographer: Clark J. Smith
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.67
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1912
Physical Description
5" x 7" (b/w)
Material Details
reproduction
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
According the 1911 Henderson's Brandon City Directory, the Brandon Fire Department - headquartered at Seventh Street and Princess Avenue - had 16 permanent firemen. For equipment the department had one steamer, two chemicals, two hose wagons, one hose reel, one aerial aldder, one hook and ladder wagon, and 10 horses. The city had 34 electric fire alarm boxes and 114 fire hydrants. The pumping station had a capacity of 3.5 million gallons in 24 hours. By 1913, the Brandon Fire Department had 19 permanent employees on its roster and added 2 more horses as well as an 80 horsepower combination motor truck.
Notes
Photograph shows a pictorial nominal roll of the 18 members of the 1912 Brandon Fire Department. A logo of crossed hoses, axes, ladder, and helmet adorn the centre of the photo. The Cornell Trophy for the Brandon Fire Brigade is pictured at the top centre. Photos of two building fires are featured at the top corners. The Central Fire Hall and No. 2 Fire Hall are pictured at the bottom corners. Members include: D. McDonald, T. Flowers, E. Harden, J. Adams, J. Daniel, Lt. A. Mowat, T. Calder, A.E. Elborne (secretary), F. Benson, A. Mair?, T. Dunnett, A. Flett, J. Todd, Lt. G. Taylor, M. Watson, A. Thomas [Calder?], Capt. R. Daley, Chief J. Melhuish, Eng. E. Boyes. Also pictured are Mayor J.W. Fleming and Alderman C.B.Coleman (chairman).
Name Access
Brandon Fire Department
Fire Station No. 2
Brandon Fire Department Personnel
Brandon fire halls
Ed Harden
Brandon Fire Department Ladder Wagon
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Brandon Fire Department Stations & Equipment
fire halls
fire engines
building exteriors
firefighters
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1F13
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Syndicate Block fire 1916

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13999
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1916
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.69
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1916
Physical Description
4.25" x 2.5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph has hole in bottom right corner
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the remains of the Syndicate Block after the fire in January 1916. The building is situated on the southwest corner of Seventh Street and Rosser Avenue. Ice from the firefighting process covers the building. The tailor shop J.S. Laughton & Son (701 Rosser Avenue) can be seen on the north side of Rosser Avenue.
Name Access
7th Street
Syndicate Block
J.S. Laughton & Son
Rosser Avenue
Subject Access
fires
building exteriors
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

Nation & Shewan store window

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14003
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1914
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.73
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1914
Physical Description
6.5" x 4.5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Top left corner is bent
History / Biographical
Erected in 1889, on the southeast corner of Rosser Avenue and 7th Street at 806 Rosser Avenue, this block was designed by Brandon architect W.H. Shillinglaw. At the time of its construction the structure housed the Nation & Shewan Department Store, one of Brandon’s largest and most successful drygoods businesses, owned and operated by Fred Nation and Alexander Shewan. Major improvements were made to the store and an annex was added in 1910. Some of the renovation additions included, but were not limited to, an updated frontage with new copper sash windows and prismatic glass tops, plate glass windows, new fixtures and carpet. With the renovations the floor space of the business was to be almost doubled. The stock of the business also increased, with the Brandon Weekly Sun reporting that when finished, Nation & Shewan would be a “store of which the citizens of Brandon will be justly proud.” The drygoods firm operated until Nation’s death 1926, when it became known as A. Shewan Limited. From 1933 to 1944, the business was known as Shewan and Son. Shortly thereafter, the Metroplitan Stores Ltd began operating out of the Nation & Shewan Block. In 2000, the Town Centre prepared to knock down the Red Apple Building, formerly the Nation & Shewan Block. The demolition was to make way for the new atrium and entrance for the mall, and begin a new period of redevelopment at the downtown shopping centre. [History/Bio written by Christy Henry (SJ McKee Archives) and Eileen Trott (Daly House Museum), researched by Morganna Maylon, for 2015 photographic exhibition "Gowen's Brandon: Then and Now".]
Custodial History
Photograph was given to Fred McGuinness by Linda Bilkoski (nee Lepard) of Lac du Bonnet, MB.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a display of women's clothing and accessories in the window at Nation & Shewan. A sign reads: 1914 Spring Opening commences on Wednesday March 25th.
Notes
Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Mrs. E. Harden, 33-10th St., City. According to the Henderson's Brandon City Directories, Catharine "Kate" Harden (nee Chalmers) worked as a cashier at Nation & Shewan from 1913 to 1914.
Name Access
Nation & Shewan
Kate Harden
Subject Access
building exteriors
advertising
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
McG 4.1 File 27
Images
Show Less

W.F. McGuinness at the Dominion Express Co.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14019
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
1-2015
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
1-2015.89
Accession Number
1-2015
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
2.5" x 3.5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
Photograph is folded and torn
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a group of four men standing on a platform at the entrance of the Dominion Express Company. William Frederick McGuinness stands on the left.
Name Access
William Frederick McGuinness
W.F. McGuinness
Dominion Express Company
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
building exteriors
Conservation
on matting
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Arrangement
BR #3 Family pictures
Images
Show Less

Parade on 10th Street

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14253
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1924
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Creator
Photographer: C.J. Smith
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.62
Accession Number
3-1997
Other Numbers
Hughes #63
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1924
Physical Description
7.5" x 9.5" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Physical Condition
Mat is scuffed
History / Biographical
The Brandon Daily Sun (26 May 1924, 16) reported the annual church parade of Brandon Lodge 173 Sons of England was held on Sunday, May 25, 1924. The Brandon City Band lead the parade with H.J. Barter, P.P., serving as parade marshal. Over 100 members paraded to St. Mary's Church. Representatives from a variety of lodges participated, including Alexander, Neepawa, Souris, Wawanesa, and Lodge Carpenter Juveniles.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a parade travelling southwards on 10th Street between Rosser and Princess Avenues. A mounted rider wearing white appears to be leading the parade. A car draped with American and British flags follows. A band follows the vehicle. Individuals wearing white hats walk up the street. Business visible on the west side (100-block) of 10th Street include: Doig, Rankin, & Robertson, Limited; Bowling Alley, Billiards; Olympia Cafe Candies. The second storey on the Hughes Building has not been erected. The Alexandra Block, Strathcona Block, Olympia Block are visible. A large Union Jack flys from the Canadian Pacific Station. Vehicles are diagonally parked on both sides of 10th Street.
Notes
Back of photograph is stamped: Hughes & Co. Ltd., 1009 Princess Ave., Brandon, Man. Date for photograph obtained from licence plates.
Name Access
Doig, Rankin & Robertson
Olympia Cafe
Hughes Building
Alexandra Block
Strathcona Block
10th Street
Subject Access
parades
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
cafes
street scenes
Storage Location
Hughes oversize drawer
Images
Show Less

Hughes & Co. Lumber, founding members

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14254
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.63
Accession Number
3-1997
Other Numbers
Hughes #56
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[1900s]
Physical Description
9.5" x 7.5" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Physical Condition
Mat is water stained.
Scope and Content
Photograph shows a group of 10 men wearing heavy coats posing in front of Hughes & Co. Lumber located at 152 10th Street.
Notes
Back of photograph is stamped: Hughes & Co. Ltd., 1009 Princess Ave., Brandon, Man. Writing on the back of the photograph reads: Founders of Hughes
Name Access
Hughes & Co. Lumber
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
street scenes
portraits
Storage Location
Hughes oversize drawer
Images
Show Less

Strathcona Block, H.Lamontagne & Co.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions14255
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1905
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Creator
Photographer: Frank Gowen, Brandon
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.64
Accession Number
3-1997
Other Numbers
Hughes #64
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1905
Physical Description
7.5" x 9.5" (b/w)
Material Details
on matting
Physical Condition
Mat is water stained, emulsive side is stained
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the recently constructed Strathcona Block. H. Lamontagne & Co. Ltd., Wholesale, occupies the ground floor. Scaffolding is suspended from the north side of the building. Buildings have yet to be erected to the north and south sides of the Strathcona Block.
Notes
Back of photograph is stamped: Hughes & Co. Ltd., 1009 Princess Ave., Brandon, Man.
Name Access
Strathcona Block
H. Lamontange & Co.
Subject Access
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
street scenes
portraits
Storage Location
Hughes oversize drawer
Images
Show Less

Stanley Knowles collection

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4395
Part Of
RG 6 Brandon University fonds
Description Level
Sub-series
GMD
multiple media
Date Range
ca. 1954 - ca. 1997
Accession Number
61-1997
Part Of
RG 6 Brandon University fonds
Description Level
Sub-series
Series Number
1.1
Accession Number
61-1997
GMD
multiple media
Date Range
ca. 1954 - ca. 1997
Physical Description
30 photographs -- 25 at 3.5" x 8" (color and b/w); 5 at 8" x 10" (b/w); 3 magnets; 1 plaque (8 x 3 cm)
History / Biographical
See RG 6, series 1 (Office of the Chancellor) for biographical information on Stanley Knowles.
Custodial History
This collection was accessioned by the McKee Archives in 1997. Prior custodial history is unknown.
Scope and Content
Collection contains photographs and memorabilia from Stanley Knowles' political career, and his time at Brandon University. Included are pictures of Knowles with Pierre Trudeau, Queen Elizebeth, Ed Broadbent, and other national political figures. However, the majority of the pictures have to do with the time Knowles spent at Brandon University later in his life, serving as Chancellor. These pictures depict Knowles addressing crowds and attending conferences. Of the three magnets included, two are pictures of Knowles late in life, while the third is a cartoonish representation of him. The plaque is a recreation of a campaign slogan from very early in Knowles' political career.
Notes
Description written by Mike White or Robyn Mitchell (2002).
Name Access
Stanley Knowles
Pierre Trudeau
Queen Elizabeth II
Ed Broadbent
Subject Access
politics
convocation
Brandon University
chancellor
Repro Restriction
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.
Storage Location
RG 6 Brandon University fonds Series 1: Office of the Chancellor
Show Less

RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4795
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
multiple media
Date Range
1849-2001 (predominant 1935-2001)
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
multiple media
Date Range
1849-2001 (predominant 1935-2001)
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records; c. 2700 photographs -- Primarily black and white; c. 42,500 stamps
History / Biographical
Lawrence Adne Stuckey was born in Brandon, Manitoba in 1921 to Adne and Catherine Stuckey, and was the grandson of a Brandon pioneer family, the Gilmours. Stuckey attended both Fleming and Earl Oxford schools, as well as the Brandon Collegiate Institute. In May 1941, he began working for the CPR as a wiper/fireman. In October of the following year he joined the RCAF. During World War II, Stuckey served overseas as a Navigator/Bomb Aimer and was promoted to the rank of Flight Sergeant. He continued his work with the CPR after the war, and was promoted to fireman/engineer in 1950. Stuckey left the CPR in January of 1958 to purchase Clark-Smith Photo Studio in Brandon. Stuckey and his wife Mavis, whom he married in 1946, ran the studio until their retirement in the mid 1980s. Throughout his life Stuckey pursued a number of interests, such as botany, history, photography and politics and was active in many local, provincial and national organizations. He was a member of the Brandon Stamp Club, the Allied Arts Council, Brandon Horticultural Society, Brandon Model Railroad Club, the Brandon Historical Society, and the Fort Whyte Centre. Stuckey was also the author of four books, as well as numerous articles on horticulture, railways, and Brandon area history. In 1987 he received the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt and in 1997 he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Laws Degree from Brandon University. Lawrence Stuckey passed away on June 13, 2001.
Custodial History
The entire collection was housed in Mr. Stuckey's residence at 658 11th St. Brandon, Manitoba, prior to its transfer to the McKee Archives. A portion of the stamp collection was donated to the Archives in August 2001. The balance of the materials were deposited in the Archives following Mr. Stuckey's death.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a variety of materials, both textual and graphic. The philately collection is the largest part of the Stuckey Collection and covers a wide geographical and temporal range. The majority of the stamps are from the United States, the British Commonwealth, France and the French Empire. There are also a number of stamps portraying animals, art and flowers. The slide collection includes approximately 10,000 images of various topics, such as landscapes, flora and fauna of North America and Expo 1967. The Stuckey photograph collection is perhaps the best collection of Brandon and Southwestern Manitoba photographs in one place. Images include grain elevators and historical buildings of the northern United States and western Canada, railways, the City of Brandon, as well as ships and boats, sporting activities, portraits, animals, flora and fauna, landscapes and farming/homestead photographs. This series also includes a large number of negatives, including glass plate negatives. The textual materials within the collection include personal journals written by Stuckey covering the years 1935-2001. These journals are autobiographical and act as a key to the rest of the collection in that they provide general time frames and the motivations behind Stuckey's activities. In addition to the journals, the collection consists of copies of Stuckey's four books and a few papers he wrote for the committees and clubs he belonged to. Other textual materials included are a small amount of personal correspondence, and research materials on a number of topics such as the CPR and Brandon area history. There are also three scrapbooks created by Stuckey dealing with his various interests. The collection also contains certificates presented to Stuckey by a number of the organizations he belonged to, as well as his honorary degree from Brandon University and his Order of the Buffalo Hunt award. A number of books, newspapers and articles on various topics, such as stamp collecting and horticulture are included in the collection.
Notes
CAIN No. 202573. Description by Christy Henry.
Name Access
Ed Radcliffe
Clark-Smith Studios - Brandon
Subject Access
Mavis Stuckey (nee Vanstone)
George Harris
Doug Bottley
Georges Cesari
Clark-Smith Studios
City of Brandon
Canadian Pacific Railway
Canadian Northern Railway
Manitoba and Northwest Railway
Expo 1967
Manitoba Naturalists Society
Brandon Historical Society
Brandon University
Assiniboine Community College
Manitoba Pool Elevators
Austin Agriculture Museum
Brandon Camera Club
Canadian National Railway
Royal Canadian Air Force
Kellock Royal Commission
Millwood Family
Natural History Photography
Railway Photography
Landscape Photography
Personal Journals
Brandon Photography
Railway History
Brandon History
Horticulture
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Finding Aid
A copy of the photograph inventory is in the blue binder on the reference shelf in the reading room.
Related Material
Alf Fowler collection 6-1999 (Brandon photographs) and the BU Art Exhibitions Committee fonds 69-1997 (Georges Cesari).
Arrangement
A description for the photograph collection has been entered as a separate series of the Lawrence Stuckey collection. The collection remains in original order.
Show Less

Corner of 10th Street and Princess Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8387
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c. 1930
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.14
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c. 1930
Physical Description
8 " x 10" (b/w)
Physical Condition
good
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the intersection of 10th Street and Princess Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba. View is facing northwest along west side of the 100-block of 10th Street. A stationary policeman/divider is at the centre of the intersection. Visible businesses include: Doig's, Plaza Shoe Shop, and Cambridge Clothes Shop. A horse-drawn sled is parked in front of Doig's store. The Olympia Block, Cecil Hotel, and CPR Station are visible in the background.
Name Access
Doig's
Plaza Shoe Shop
Cambridge Clothes Shop
Alexandra Block
Strathcona Block
10th Street
Princess Avenue
Subject Access
downtowns
street scenes
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
building exteriors
Transportation
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

Intersection 10th Street and Princess Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8392
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1929
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.19
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1929
Physical Description
8" x 10" (b/w)
Physical Condition
good
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the intersection of 10th Street and Princess Avenue looking northeast. A stationary policeman/divider is situated in the centre of the intersection. The lot on the corner appears to be for sale and a solid wooden fence has several advertisements, including for: Majestic Radio and a production by the Brandon Operatic Society at City Hall for "A Runaway Girl." The Brown Block has a third storey lined with dormer windows. Advertisements for Heintzamn & Co. Pianos Piano Tuning, J.J.H. McLean & Co. Ltd, and The Strand Optical Co. are painted on the south side of the Brown Block. Also present is an advertising board for the Capitol Theatre. Signs for the Strand Theatre, Hollywood Cafe, and Campbell's Furniture are also visible.
Notes
Photograph date obtained from the presence of the Hollywood Cafe in the 1929 Henderson's Brandon City Directory and the performance by the Brandon Operatic Society.
Name Access
Brown Block
Heintzman & Co. Pianos
J.J.H. McLean & Co.
Capitol Theatre
Strand Theatre
Hollywood Cafe
Campbell's Furniture Store
10th Street
Subject Access
downtowns
street scenes
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
theatres
building exteriors
cafes
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

Intersection 10th Street and Princess Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8400
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1929
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.22
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1929
Physical Description
8" x 10" (b/w)
Physical Condition
good
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the intersection of 10th Street and Princess Avenue facing northeast. A stationary policeman/divider is situated in the centre of the intersection. A street car is travelling south on 10th Street. Angled parking is on both sides of the street. The lot on the northeast corner appears to be for sale and a solid wooden fence has several advertisements, including for: Majestic Radio, Imperial Gasoline (premier and ethyl), and a production a City Hall for "A Runaway Girl." The Brown Block has a third storey lined with dormer windows. Advertisements for Heintzamn & Co. Pianos Piano Tuning, J.J.H. McLean & Co. Ltd, and The Strand Optical Co. are painted on the south side of the Brown Block. Also present is an advertising board for the Capitol Theatre on which is a poster for "Cohens and Kellys in Atlantic City." Signs for the Strand Theatre, Hollywood Cafe, and Campbell's Furniture are also visible. A sign for Plaza Shoes can be seen on the west side of 10th Street. The train station can be seen at the base of the hill.
Notes
Photograph date based on the Capitol's film "Cohens and Kellys in Atlantic City" that was advertised in the Brandon Daily Sun 03 December 1929
Name Access
Brown Block
Heintzman & Co. Pianos
J.J.H. McLean & Co.
Capitol Theatre
Strand Theatre
Hollywood Cafe
Campbell's Furniture Store
10th Street
CPR Station
Subject Access
downtowns
street scenes
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
theatres
building exteriors
cafes
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

9th Street aerial view facing south, Brandon, Manitoba

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8419
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c. 1940
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Creator
Photographer: Jerrett Photo
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.41
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c. 1940
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Physical Condition
good
Scope and Content
Postcard shows an aerial view of 9th Street facing south in Brandon, Manitoba. Visible businesses and landmarks include: Beaubier Hotel, YMCA/police station, the original CKX Radio station towers on 8th Street (est. 1928 - moved 1940), the old City Hall, Prince Edward Hotel, and the original Manitoba Power commission smokestack on 10th Street.
Notes
Writing on the front of the photograph reads: Brandon, Man., Jerrett Photo. This photograph shows a rare view of the 800-block between Rosser and Princess Avenues.
Name Access
Beaubier Hotel
City Hall
CKX
Prince Edward Hotel
Manitoba Power Company
Subject Access
downtowns
street scenes
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
aerial views
building exteriors
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

Aerial view of 10th Street facing south from Princess Avenue

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8420
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1940
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Creator
Photographer: Jerrett Photo
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.42
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1940
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Physical Condition
Red ink stain is on the front right corner of postcard
Scope and Content
Photograph shows 10th Street facing south from Princess Avenue. Visible landmarks and businesses include: Manitoba Power Commission (MPC)'s power sub-station, First Baptist Church, Wheat City Arena, and the grand stand at the Exhibition Grounds. The partial sign visible at the bottom of the photograph on the east side of 10th Street reads Yates and Neale, which refers to a plumbing and heating company that dissolved in 1943 to be replaced by Neale, Stothard and Chapman. Businesses on the west side of 10th Street include: Dominion Tire & Radio Co., Bolts Barber Shop, Elviss T.E. Co. Stables.
Notes
Information concerning Yates and Neale courtesy Jack Stothard. Writing on the front of the postcard reads: Brandon, Looking S.W., Jerrett Photo. This photograph shows a rare view of the 200-block of 10th Street.
Name Access
Manitoba Power Company
10th Street
Dominion Tire & Radio Co.
T.E. Elviss Co. Stables
First Baptist Church
Subject Access
downtowns
street scenes
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
aerial views
building exteriors
residences
churches
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

Architect's drawing of proposed Federal Building, Princess Avenue between 10th and 11th Street, Brandon, Manitoba

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8423
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1930
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Creator
Shillinglaw, Brandon architect
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3-1997.1
Item Number
3-1997.1.44
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
c.1930
Physical Description
6.75" x 4.5" (b/w)
Physical Condition
good
Scope and Content
Architect's drawing of the proposed Federal Building on Princess Avenue between 10th and 11th Streets, Brandon, Manitoba.
Name Access
Federal Building
Walter Shillinglaw
Subject Access
downtowns
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
architecture
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer
Images
Show Less

Barclay & O'Hara Lumber & Coal

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9473
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[188-]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1E1
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[188-]
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Barclay & O'Hara Lumber & Coal - office and yard
Notes
[Mr. Stuckey] believes this to be the south side of the 700 block of Pacific Avenue.
To the left is the Western Canada Savings & Loan Co.
To the right, [Mr. Stuckey believes], is the Farmers Home Hotel.
Copy negative courtesy of Brian O'Hara.
Name Access
Private House
Subject Access
businesses
hardware stores
coal
lumber
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Murdock Bros. Store

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9474
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[19-?]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1E2
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[19-?]
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Murdock Bros. store interior
Notes
[Located at 886 Rosser Avenue; This negative was created using a pre-existing published image. The caption on the published image reads "Murdock Bros. Wholesale and Retail Furniture and Crockery Emporium". (P.E. 17/06/09)]
Name Access
Murdock Bros. Store
Subject Access
businesses
merchants
furniture stores
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1915]
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1E3
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
History / Biographical
Built 1892
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Syndicate Block
Notes
Located at the SW corner of 7th St. & Rosser Ave (former location of Eaton's store).
Tenants at time of photo: The Merchants Lt., McWhirter & Ball, Vincent & MacPherson. For history of Vincent & MacPherson see Brandon: A City, pp 125-126, by Barker.
Photo from Brandon Sun.
Name Access
Syndicate Block
Subject Access
businesses
merchants
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

Wilson Rankin & Co.

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions9476
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1896
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Item
Series Number
3.1
Item Number
1-2002.3.1E4
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1896
Physical Description
3 1/2" x 5"
Material Details
Negative
Custodial History
For custodial history see the collection level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Scope and Content
Wilson Rankin & Co.
Notes
Located in the west half of Syndicate Block (see E3)
L to R: Pete Kennedy, *H. Ball, S. Laughton, J. Irwin, *C. McWhirter, R. MacPherson. (*see E3, McWhirter & Ball)
Photo courtesty of the Brandon Sun.
Name Access
Wilson Rankin & Co.
Subject Access
businesses
merchants
Brandon business buildings & facilities before 1940
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Images
Show Less

87 records – page 3 of 5.