Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

2 records – page 1 of 1.

Great books as life-teachers : studies of character, real and ideal

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/specialcollections1304
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Description Level
Item
Date Range
c1899
Part Of
MG 2 2.15 George E Thorman Collection
Collection
George E Thorman School Textbook Collection
Creator
Hillis, Newell Dwight, 1858-1929
Livingstone, David, 1813-1873
Description Level
Item
Item Number
Archives 11-999-28-724
Item Number Range
Archives 11-999-28-724
Responsibility
by Newell Dwight Hillis
Start Date
c1899
Date Range
c1899
Publication
Chicago ; New York : Fleming H. Revell company
Physical Description
6, [4], 15-339 p. ; 19 cm
Name Access
Ruskin
John
1819-1900. Seven lamps of architecture
Eliot
George
1819-1880. Romola
Hawthorne
Nathaniel
1804-1864. Scarlet letter
Hugo
Victor
1802-1885. Mis©rables
Drummond
Henry
1851-1897
Browning
Robert
1812-1889. Saul
Shaftesbury
Anthony Ashley Cooper
Earl of
1801-1885
Willard
Frances Elizabeth
1839-1898
Gladstone
W. E. (William Ewart)
1809-1898
Subject Access
Literature
Modern History and criticism
Character
Storage Location
Box 28 - Research, methods and manuals
Storage Range
Box 28 - Research, methods and manuals
Show Less

Brandon street cars in front of Winter Fair Building on 10th Street

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions13753
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1913
Accession Number
20-2009
Part Of
Fred McGuinness collection
Description Level
Item
Series Number
McG 9
Item Number
20-2009.64
Accession Number
20-2009
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1913
Physical Description
5.5" x 3.5" (b/w)
Material Details
postcard
Physical Condition
Postcard is discoloured around the edges
History / Biographical
According to the Brandon Daily Sun (07 May 1913), the first three street cars (Nos. 10, 9, and 7) arrived in Brandon on the evening of May 6, 1913. The cars were shipped via Canadian National Rail to Brandon from Winnipeg and stored at the railway siding on McTavish Avenue between 8th and 9th Streets. The daily paper (15 May 1915) reported that a test run for the street cars was scheduled for May 16, 1913. The City Clerk published a public notice in the paper (29 May 1913) announcing the formal opening of the "Brandon Municipal Street Raily" for on Monday, June 2, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at city hall where the cars would be displayed.
Custodial History
Donated to Fred McGuinness by Allena Strath (nee Coombs).
Scope and Content
Postcard depicts three municipal street cars parked on the 10th Street tracks in front of the Winter Fair Building. In front of the cars are a group of men wearing suits, hats, and top coats. Two automobiles are parked alongside the street cars. According to Archivist Emeritus Tom Mitchell, the group of men are members of the Brandon Municipal Street Railway Committee. The chairman of the committee, Harry Cater, can be seen in the center-left of the group wearing a watch fob. The committee had assembled for a test run of the street car service, which the Brandon Daily Sun reported to have occured on Sunday, May 16, 1913.
Notes
Back of postcard reads: First Street Car in Brandon in front of Winter Fair building 1910.
Name Access
Brandon Municipal Railway
Winter Fair Building
Harry Cater
10th Street
Subject Access
street cars
Transportation
cars
automobiles
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer 2 (hanging photos)
Related Material
Lawrence Stuckey collection 1-2002.3.1I2
Images
Show Less