Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

23 records – page 2 of 2.

Lawrence Stuckey photograph collection

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4796
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
graphic
Date Range
ca. 1885 to 1991; predominantly 1960-1991
Accession Number
1-2002
Part Of
RG 11 Lawrence Stuckey fonds
Description Level
Series
Series Number
3
Accession Number
1-2002
GMD
graphic
Date Range
ca. 1885 to 1991; predominantly 1960-1991
Physical Description
c. 2700 photograph negatives; c. 100 b/w prints
History / Biographical
For history/bio information see the fonds level description of the Lawrence Stuckey collection.
Custodial History
The entire collection was housed in Mr. Stuckey's residence at 658 11th St. Brandon, Manitoba, prior to its transfer to the McKee Archives. The balance of the materials, including the photograph negative collection, was deposited in the Archives following Mr. Stuckey's death. Some of the negatives came into Mr. Stuckey's possession when he acquired the Clark J. Smith Studio, Brandon, Man.
Scope and Content
Created by Lawrence A. Stuckey, the collection includes some of his own photography. Stuckey took many of the photos during his travels in Southwestern Manitoba and further afield. As well, he acquired copies of negatives that fit his interest from friends, contemporaries, and other professional photographers. The majority of these copies are of photographs that predate Stuckey's era. The collection includes various subjects from Brandon’s history (including people, buildings, transportation, railways, and institutions) 1879 to 1992; surrounding communities, railway lines and trains 1925 to 1989; agriculture ca. 1890 to 1983; railway photographs including the Prairie Dog Central, grain cars and various railways, including Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, Great Northern, and Brandon, Saskatchewan & Hudson's Bay, ca. 1900 to 1992; vehicles, planes, and ships ca. 1940 to 1981; personal photographs including friends, travel and other personal interests. The series has been divided into nine sub-series, including: (1) Brandon history; (2) Westbran project parks; (3) Rural archives; (4) History - miscellaneous (including Walker collection); (5) Grain cars; (6) The prairie dog; (7) Personal interests; (8) Lawrence Stuckey; and (9) Unsorted.
Notes
Funding for series three level descriptions and digitizing of the Lawrence Stuckey fonds has been provided courtesy of a generous grant from the Heritage Grants Advisory Council of the Manitoba Government 2009.
Repro Restriction
The McKee Archives is the copyright holder for the Stuckey materials.
Finding Aid
A copy of the photograph inventory is in the blue binder on the reference shelf in the reading room.
Storage Location
Lawrence Stuckey collection
Arrangement
Subseries 1 - Brandon History A. People B. Bridges C. Streets D. Buildings E. Business F. Fire Dept. G. Hospitals H. Industries I. Streetcars J. Utilities K. Construction L. Transportation (other than rail) M. Exhibition N. Misc. History O. Environs P. Railroads Subseries 2 - Westbran Project Parks Subseries 3 - Rural Archives 1. CPR -North branches -Broadview Sub. (Brandon-Broadview) -CPR lines south of mainline -Carberry Sub. (Winnipeg-Brandon) -Minnedosa & Bredenbury Sub's (Ex. Man. & N.W. Ry.) (Portage la Prairie-Minnedosa-Bredenbury) 2. CNR -Mainline, Rivers Sub. (Winnipeg-Melville) -Gladstone Sub. (Portage-Neepawa) -Wawanesa Sub. (Brandon [M&B Jct]-Belmont) -Rapid City Sub. (Hallboro-Beulah) -Rossburn Sub. (Neepawa-Russell) 3. Surrounding Communities -Brandon NW -Brandon NE -Brandon SW -Brandon SE 4. Agriculture (Steam) 5. Agriculture (Horse & Misc) 6. Agriculture (Miscellaneous) Subseries 4 - History - Miscellaneous (inc. Walker Collection) Subseries 5 - Grain Cars Subseries 6 - The Prairie Dog Subseries 7 - Personal Interests Subseries 8 - Lawrence Stuckey -Friends & Personal 1975- -Travel -Cars & Planes -Ships -Ships & Boats -Great Lakes Seaway -Ships & Canal, Duluth, Minn. Sept. 1980 -Windsor & Toronto 1980, 1981 -Welland Canal 1981
Show Less

Edward Walker fonds

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions4888
Part Of
RG 5 Western Manitoba Manuscript Collection
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1896-1920; predominant 1896-1910
Accession Number
24-2006
Part Of
RG 5 Western Manitoba Manuscript Collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
24-2006
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1896-1920; predominant 1896-1910
Physical Description
55 glass plate negatives (52 at 5x7; 3 at 3X5)
History / Biographical
Edward Walker was born in Lymm, Cheshire, England in 1836. He emigrated to Canada at age 59 in 1895, from Stockport, England. Walker came to Canada with three of his children - Dora, Daisy and Theo - and settled in Millwood, Manitoba. In childhood, Walker was a victim of polio and walked with the aid of two canes throughout his adult life. Walker was a professional photographer. Once in Canada, he also took out a homestead at N.W. 18-19-229, though it appears that his son Theo did most of the work required to gain title to the property. In addition to his work as a photographer, Walker was appointed post-master for Millwood in 1901, and operated a small store. Edward Walker retired as postmaster in 1920. He died in 1923.
Custodial History
The Walker fonds arrived at the S.J. McKee Archives as part of the Lawrence Stuckey Collection in 2001. While the circumstances are not known, it seems evident that Stuckey acquired the Walker negatives in the course of his professional career as a photographer and collector.
Scope and Content
Fonds contains a variety of images of Millwood, Manitoba and the surrounding agricultural community, its people, and life produced by Edward Walker in the course of his work as a professional photographer. These images were produced from gelatin dry plate negatives, a process introduced around 1880, to replace the wet collodin process in which a photographic solution was applied to a glass plate just prior to exposure. Edward Walker’s pictorial account of life in and around Millwood Manitoba circa 1900, is an important photographic legacy of pioneer life on the upper reaches of the Assiniboine Valley. The village of Millwood was located in the Assiniboine River valley close to the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border just a few miles northwest of Binscarth and a similar distance southwest of Russell. It came into existence in 1887, with the construction of the Manitoba and North-Western Railway, a road that ran diagonally through the new West from Prince Albert, North West Territories to Portage la Prairie Manitoba.
Notes
Description by Tom Mitchell.
Storage Location
2006 accessions
Storage Range
2006 accessions
Related Material
Several prints were located with the Walker Negatives. These were created by Lawrence Stuckey and have been located with the Lawrence Stuckey collection and identified as "Edward Walker" prints. RG 6, 8.2.4 (Library - S.J. McKee Archives - Archival displays).
Arrangement
Edward Walker – Millwood negatives 1. Manitoba and Northwestern railway steam shovel loading flat cars for the “fill” c. 1900 2. Completed “fill” near Millwood c. 1900 3. Steam shovel filling flat cars for the “fill” 4. Boy and pony 5. Farmer in field 6. Portrait – man 7. Portrait – man and woman 8. Portrait – man and women 9. Portrait – man 10. Portrait – little girl 11. Baseball game in progress 12. Cottage home 13. Portrait – man 14. Portrait – little girl 15. Gentlemen, horse and dog. 16. Portrait – two men 17. Portrait – mother and daughter 18. Mill and new Mill elevators c. 1896 19. Horse power in harness 20. Construction of railway bridge 21. Construction railway bridge 22. First automobile Millwood 23. Man, horse, carriage 24. Horse, sled filled with dead moose 25. Harvest scene reaper in action 26. Aboriginal people, tee pee 27. North Western railway bridge over the Assiniboine c. 1900 28. Railway trestle near the “Clay Dump”, on west hill near Harrowby 29. Team of horse in harness drawing a sled 30. Boy, horse with steer tethered to horse’s tail 31. Horse drawn wagon with children, woman and dog
Show Less

Joseph H. Hughes collection - photographs

http://archives.brandonu.ca/en/permalink/descriptions8344
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Series
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1886-1960
Accession Number
3-1997
Part Of
Joseph H. Hughes collection
Description Level
Series
Series Number
3-1997.1
Accession Number
3-1997
GMD
graphic
Date Range
1886-1960
Physical Description
84 photographs
Scope and Content
Accession 3-1997 (84 photographs, various diplomas; 1886-1960) contains a variety of photographs of buildings and streetscapes of the 100 block of Tenth Street and various Hughes properties in the city. In addition, there are photographs of the "Founders of Hughes and Co," a parade on Tenth Street in 1924, the Wheat City Business College Hockey Team 1912, three photographs of the Port of Churchill in 1931, three photographs of threshing crews on Hughes and Company property, a Great War military contingent from Brandon including JRC Evans, and four family photographs.
Notes
Initial processing Jessica Taylor (winter 2007).
Storage Location
RG 5 photograph storage drawer and oversize
Storage Range
RG 5 photograph storage drawer and oversize
Show Less

23 records – page 2 of 2.